cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens question

kharypayt37
Apprentice

I currently have a t6i body with a 55-250mm lens. I mainly take sports pictures/videos (American football), and I am wondering which lens I should upgrade to. I am looking for an investment piece that will suit me down the line should i upgrade my camera. From research the past few days, i have focused on the 70-200mm f/4 IS II. This has been the clear-cut favorite (according to the sources ive looked at). However, i am not sure if i should opt for a lens like the 300mm as my current lens can deal with those closer shots.

i appreciate any advice!

26 REPLIES 26

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@kharypayt37 wrote:

I currently have a t6i body with a 55-250mm lens. I mainly take sports pictures/videos (American football), and I am wondering which lens I should upgrade to. I am looking for an investment piece that will suit me down the line should i upgrade my camera. From research the past few days, i have focused on the 70-200mm f/4 IS II. This has been the clear-cut favorite (according to the sources ive looked at). However, i am not sure if i should opt for a lens like the 300mm as my current lens can deal with those closer shots.

i appreciate any advice!

Where is your current lens holding you back. You would lose some reach if you get the 70-200 but gain one f/stop - less noise with the same shutter speed or faster shutter speed with the same noise. 

The 300mm lens (I'm guessing the f/4) will give you a little more reach compared to your current lens and an additional f/stop. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The question is will the better f4 aperture be more of a gain than the 50mm of FL lost. For daylight football I am not sure that is a good trade perhaps for night time it would be. The 70-200mm f4L is also going to give better IQ to a degree.  However, the 55-250mm may be providing all that the OP needs.

I can see and I like the idea of keeping the 55-250mm and adding the ef 300mm f4L.  Another plus about it is, it handles the 1.4x tel-con very well yielding a 420mm (670mm) option.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I agree with rs-eos.

If a person lives in a vacuum and never talks/shoots with anyone else then crop factor would be meaningless.

But, beginning photogs who talk to others and watch tutorials to learn need to understand that the safari video where the is getting great shots on a 1D X with a 400mm lens has the same reach as his Rebel with a 55-250 zoom. Likewise he may noy get the great pano he is hoping for with 18mm kit lens.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

"But, beginning photogs who talk to others and watch tutorials to learn need to understand ..."

To ask the correct question which might be, "What lens do I need to take great safari, pano, photographs?"  

EB

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If one doesn’t understand the technology then they might not know what questions to ask, or get meaningful answers.

That great 16-35mm lens I used to get a shot would require a 10mm lens on a Rebel.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Only if your mind was/is thinking 35mm film FF camera. 

EB

Exactly. So either a poor answer would be given or you would need to know that crop factor exists and ask the individual what camera they have. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements