cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens out of focus

Boykjazz
Contributor
Used my t1i today and surprised it won't take pics. I noticed that my lens, no matter what I do is out of focused. Then I connected my bower fisheye tried it and the camera worked. After I removed it, the camera started working again and the out of focus issue was resolved! What was that all about. Now I'm working on the macro feature...pure amateur here.
10 REPLIES 10

ScottyP
Authority
What is the other lens that does work?

The Bower is a manual focus lens that does not report to the camera and it works. The lens you had mounted before was probably autofocus and the camera would not shoot. Not sure how that might or might not play in, but perhaps you can supply more info.

Set some ways a camera will shoot when out of focus. In other settings it won't shoot unless it is in focus. It is possible your lens that did not let the camera fire was not set to autofocus, and was not focused. The non-reporting fisheye manual may have fired AND gave an in-focus shot to, given the deep depth of focus in a wide angle lens.

What focus mode is your camera in? Single shot, AI focus, or AI servo?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Yup I had the original 18-55mm mounted. Yes that was the one that was out of focus. The cam was on single shot. I mounted the fisheye and was trying to take video. When I looked at the display screen, I can't seem to focus it. Took off the fisheye, was running low batt. So I let it rest. After I charged up, when I tried to take shots with just the original 18-55mm lens, I noticed I can't even focus it. Then I mounted the fisheye, it suddenly was now to focus. Took off the fisheye and it's back to normal. Lens probably got confused or something?

Are you talking about a add-on lens that you attach to the 58mm front filter threads of your 18-55?

I can't think of any reason that would have any real effect on AF operation. Maybe it was just the low battery causing problems?      

_bower.jpg

Mike Sowsun

Yes Mike I believe it is. Just being a novice I guess. Panicked cause I just bought the camera.

I would assume Mike. Only thing is, when I had it fully charged and just used the 18-55mm lens only, it still won't take shots and was still out of focus. Then I mounted the bower and took a look on the viewfinder and it was suddenly in focus. Was able to take shots. Removed the bower and the 18-55 by itself has returned to normal. Can't figure that one out.

I don't shoot video with my DSLRs, so this is just a guess...

You mention you were shooting video... Can the T1i even auto focus during video? I thought it was manual focus only, in video mode.

When you put the fisheye lens on, that has such deep depth of field that everything near to far is in focus anyway, I suspect. When you switch back to the 18-55mm, at some settings depth of field is fairly shallow, so anything out of focus is more obvious than with the fisheye.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thanks Alan.

Thanks Scotty!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you are still on the original T1i battery, it is almost a sure bet it is the problem. Buy a new Canon battery. Fully charge it and you should be all set.

The Bower lens has nothing to do with this and is just a coincidence.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements