cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens options for shooting animation reference and stop motion

kevinbarnes
Apprentice

Hello,

I need some advice on what lenses I should be looking for in a specific usage case.

I recently acquired a Canon EOS t2i body and hope to put it to use as an animator in two scenarios:

Shoot video reference of myself for animation planning. This is usually done in a small room which will usually be low light or artificial. I would ideally like to capture as much of the space as possible and try to capture the whole body which suggests a wider angle lens but at the same time I want to try and avoid too much lens distortion. Beyond that the biggest requirement is clarity of image.
Shoot stop motion frame by frame which would also be in more limited lighting conditions or artificial lightning and this time the camera will be very close to the subject (a physical miniature set).
Is it possible find a lens that fulfills both criteria? Or am I looking at two separate lenses?

I am hoping to spend about $150-$200 if at all possible. Not really picky about anything, willing to buy new or used but in the used case I am not sure what I should be on the lookout for either in terms of possible damage.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am hoping to spend about $150-$200 if at all possible."   Yeah, not possible unless you can get by and use the very good Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens at $125.  My choice would be the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens at $900.

Remember, with a lens you get what you get. The lens is where its at. Just about any lens will work for you but get the best one you can.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Another option is the EF-S 60mm, which has a very flat field.

Distortion is not an issue, it can be fixed in post with DPP.

"Another option is the EF-S 60mm, which has a very flat field."

1+  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@kvbarkley wrote:

Another option is the EF-S 60mm, which has a very flat field.

Distortion is not an issue, it can be fixed in post with DPP.

"This is usually done in a small room which will usually be low light or artificial.  I would ideally like to capture as much of the space as possible and try to capture the whole body which suggests a wider angle lens but at the same time I want to try and avoid too much lens distortion.”

A good lens, but a poor choice for what the OP wants to do, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Shoot stop motion frame by frame which would also be in more limited lighting conditions or artificial lightning and this time the camera will be very close to the subject (a physical miniature set)."

Not for everything. I think we are in the "two lenses" territory.

@kvbarkley wrote:

"Shoot stop motion frame by frame which would also be in more limited lighting conditions or artificial lightning and this time the camera will be very close to the subject (a physical miniature set)."

Not for everything. I think we are in the "two lenses" territory.

Yeah, you’re correct.  i noticed closeup stuff, too..  Except, you’re not getting two halfway decent lenses for $150-200, though.  That budget is too small by at least half.

The 60mm will not capture the entire room, though.  I think a wider angle lens is preferable to a standard focal length.

The 18-55mm STM kit lens breaks the original budget, too.  But, I think you could use an extension tube with the 18-55 for the closeup work.  You would need a pretty robust, professional grade tripod, too.  The EF-S 24mm STM is probably the least sharp STM lens I have used, but it is sharp enough for video.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

For that budget, your choices are very limited.  I suggest you save up for the latest version of the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens.  Buy the STM version of it.  One lens that may fit within your budget is the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM.  

Notice how both lenses that I have suggested are “STM” lenses, which describe the focusing system.  If you buy a Canon EF-S lens, only buy an STM lens if your primary interest is video.  Or, stills for that matter.  They are fast, quiet, and quite sharp.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements