cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens not communicating with camera

Harry3
Apprentice

My new 6D Mark 2 gives me an error message when I try to use my EF 100-400 1.4-5.6L IS II USM lens. "clean the lens contacts" The contacts are clean and the camera is new. The lens works fine on my EOS rebel, all other lenses work with my new camera.

The EF lens is a very tight fit on my new 6D. Much more so than when I mount it on my older Rebel. The kit lens that came with the 6D is not nearly as tight a fit as the EF 100-400. Other lenses work well on the 6D and are not as tight a fit. I am hesitant to 'work ' the lens on and off to loosen the fit for fear of damaging the lens or camera. 

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The EF 100-400 is a weather sealed lens so you will notice a somewhat tighter fit on bodies that work with weather sealed lenses to provide weather resistance but this difference should be subtle and barely noticeable in use.

NOTE:  Weather resistant and water proof are two very different things and I still use official Canon "rain coats" on my 1DX series bodies and weather resistant L series primes and "zooms" when shooting in anything beyond the lightest mist; it protects the gear and no use pressing my luck although these camera/lens combinations are rated for use in pretty nasty weather and will probably take more rain than I without refusing to work!

It is possible that either your lens OR the body is the issue.  Do you have other Canon weather sealed lenses (many but not all of the L series lenses have this rating) that you can try on the new body?  Or perhaps go to a camera shop to see if you can try your 100-400 on another 6D or similar Canon body designed to take advantage of weather sealed lenses.

It sounds like either the sealing gasket on the lens on the mounting flange on your new camera are the cause of the tight fit and the resulting lack of good contact between the lens and body contact as the lens proper is pushed out from the mount.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Return the camera for an exchange, or Contact Canon Support.  I would try to exchange it first.  Make sure that you are only purchasing our gear from Canon Authorized Dealers.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The EF 100-400 is a weather sealed lens so you will notice a somewhat tighter fit on bodies that work with weather sealed lenses to provide weather resistance but this difference should be subtle and barely noticeable in use.

NOTE:  Weather resistant and water proof are two very different things and I still use official Canon "rain coats" on my 1DX series bodies and weather resistant L series primes and "zooms" when shooting in anything beyond the lightest mist; it protects the gear and no use pressing my luck although these camera/lens combinations are rated for use in pretty nasty weather and will probably take more rain than I without refusing to work!

It is possible that either your lens OR the body is the issue.  Do you have other Canon weather sealed lenses (many but not all of the L series lenses have this rating) that you can try on the new body?  Or perhaps go to a camera shop to see if you can try your 100-400 on another 6D or similar Canon body designed to take advantage of weather sealed lenses.

It sounds like either the sealing gasket on the lens on the mounting flange on your new camera are the cause of the tight fit and the resulting lack of good contact between the lens and body contact as the lens proper is pushed out from the mount.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You need to call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666.

Cleaning the contacts or returning the camera is not the first steps to take. Cleaning the contacts very rarely to never works or helps. Plus if done incorrectly can damage them.  And, returning the camera if there is something wrong with the lens will also not help.

The lens should be somewhat tight but not so much you think, hey, this is way too much.  You know some drag.

"The lens works fine on my EOS rebel, all other lenses work with my new camera."  This is a problem nobody here can answer correctly so you need to ask Canon.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Harry3
Apprentice

Thank you all for your input and help. I will contact Canon and update as develops.

I sent both the camera body and the lense back to Canon. They have repaired the seal on the lense. I get them back this week.

Announcements