cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens hoods and screw-on filters

Dedeye
Apprentice

Will these two accessories work together?  I've already got the lenses and filters, thinking about adding some hoods.

Thanks!

EOS Rebel T7i
14 REPLIES 14

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Will these two accessories work together?  I've already got the lenses and filters, thinking about adding some hoods."

To give you an accurate answer I really need to know exactly what filters, lenses and hoods? Beyond a polarizer and protecto filters, there is really no good reason to use filters any longer. Lens hoods on the other hand are almost mandatory.  Of course there will be times when you don't need a hood but usually a good idea. A lot of people seem to forget the fact a filter or hood removes as easily as it went on.  Don't need it, remove it. Simple?

For a general purpose amateur any good quality clear or UV filter will do a good job of just protection. Less than ten bucks most of the time. If you are a serious photographer that wants only the best photos you need top level clear protecto filters like the ones made by B+W. But you must weight if the filter is worth it.  For instance it makes little sense to put s $50 dollar top of the line professional protercto filter on a 50mm f1.8, $99 dollar lens. Make sense?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star

Filter VS Post-processing... 

Interesting conversation, coming from my father's darkroom in the early sixties, I wonder if he would ask the question... 

At what point does it cease to be a photograph and become a digital painting? 

My concern was mainly with clear glass protective "filters," not image-altering stuff.  I have yet to find an image-altering filter I have any use for.

EOS Rebel T7i

@Dedeye wrote:

My concern was mainly with clear glass protective "filters," not image-altering stuff.  I have yet to find an image-altering filter I have any use for.

I almost always use a lens hood.  I always use a protective filter, too, B+W XS-Pro Clear MRC-Nano 007 Filters.   A filter is much safer and easier to clean than a front element.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

“At what point does it cease to be a photograph and become a digital painting? “

I suppose you could go back to a pin hole camera.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements