Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens front add on magnifying glasses

Dianoban
Enthusiast

Camera : Rebel T6s

Lens : Canon 18-35mm F3.5~5.6 IS STM

I plan to take this camera & lens with me to go hiking in the mountains. There are some very special flowers, about 1/2 inch in diameter, that I want to shoot.  I do not want to take a micro lens with me.  A set to good quality magnifying glasses will serve the purpose, I think. Your recommend, please?

Thank you.

Dianoban

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray-uk
Whiz

What you are referring to are known as supplementary lenses. There are cheap sets of these widely available which should be avoided as they are a complete waste of money. The cheap ones consist of a single glass element and are prone to awful colour fringing.

More expensive supplementary lenses, commonly known as achromats consist of 2 or more glas elements in each lens and can give very good results but they aren't cheap. Canon make 2 achromats in various sizes to fit different filter threads, these are available in 2 powers 250D and 500D (not to be confused with camera bodies that have the same numbers). Other brands are available but make sure they are labelled as achromatic.

Supplementary lenses can achieve some good results but they only work over a limited distance and may not be adequate or convenient for some small subjects and a 1/2 inch flower is probably asking a bit much, they are a poor substitute for a proper macro lens.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ray-uk
Whiz

What you are referring to are known as supplementary lenses. There are cheap sets of these widely available which should be avoided as they are a complete waste of money. The cheap ones consist of a single glass element and are prone to awful colour fringing.

More expensive supplementary lenses, commonly known as achromats consist of 2 or more glas elements in each lens and can give very good results but they aren't cheap. Canon make 2 achromats in various sizes to fit different filter threads, these are available in 2 powers 250D and 500D (not to be confused with camera bodies that have the same numbers). Other brands are available but make sure they are labelled as achromatic.

Supplementary lenses can achieve some good results but they only work over a limited distance and may not be adequate or convenient for some small subjects and a 1/2 inch flower is probably asking a bit much, they are a poor substitute for a proper macro lens.

Thank you very much. I'll not buy any supplementary lenses. I'll take my micro lens.
Thanks.
Dianoban

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Camera : Rebel T6s

Lens : Canon 18-35mm F3.5~5.6 IS STM"

That should be all you need and a good post editor.  I, too, strongly recomend you avoid add-on lenses. If your current gear isn't up to waht you need think about adding a real lens. The Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens would be perfect for you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you very much.  I have a micro lens.  The reason I think about the add on lenses is to reduce weight.  I'll not buy they since they do not render good quality images.

Thanks.

Dianoban

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements