cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens for dog action photography

alexmatson
Apprentice

I recently bought a Canon EOS 7D but I am still researching the right lens to pair with it.  I am not a professional by any means, but I do want a nice lens that will capture their movement clearly and crisp. 98% percent of the pictures will be taken  outside in the daylight handheld so that is my main concern; finding a lens that is not extremely long/heavy/awkward to hold while running around with the dogs.  I take pictures for their agility trials and dog meet groups so 99% of the pictures will be for moving objects..and fast!  I was looking at the 70-200 f4, 55-250mm IS EF-S (just based on reviews) but I haven't actually seen or held any in person and am not committed to either so please, any suggestions!

PLEASE HELP!

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

It depends a bit on how close or far you will be when shooting. The 24-105 L IS, any of the 70-200 L's or the 70-300 L IS will do very well at that & just about any action you try shooting.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Well that's another concern of mine. Maybe 40 percent of the time they will be almost at my feet and others they are maybe 24 feet away (max I wouldn't be doing long distance shooting) primarily is say around five to 15 feet away. Are your suggestions still the same? And what are your opinions on the sizes and weight of these lenses with them all being handheld shots.

Yes it changes my answer & I may not have the right one with things being that close. Forget any that start at 70 mm's. Even 24 mm may be a bit too long for things at your feet which may mean having to buy a 10-20ish / 17-55 type lens but I don't know how they do action.  

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

You are not likely to get by with one lens.  A one-lens-does-it-all does not exist.  If the action is very fast at very different distances, a one-camera-does-it-all may not exist either.

There are off brand lenses Smiley Sad that have 10x, more or less, zoom ability.  They are quite horribile and I don't recommend them at all but they exist.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements