cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens for Landscape Photos

meulsinas83
Apprentice

I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to photography. I have the Canon T5 and I really like it. It came with the regular kit lens 18-55 mm lens. I'm looking for another lens to take landscape pictures with. Some of the lenses I've looked at are over $1000. Can't afford that. Looking for something less than $350 if possible. Also this might be a dumb question, but do other brands of lenses work on the T5 or do I need to make sure it's a Canon lens? Thanks you.

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum. 

What are you unhappy with when taking landscape photos with your current lens?

If you want a wider field of view Canon has a 10-18mm zoom lens. 

Photography is a great hobby for GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) Smiley Happy but one really needs to determine what the problem/need is and find a cost effective solution. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Photography is a great hobby for GAS"

If you have GAS there is no known cure.  You can only treat the symptoms.  There is no such thing as a landscape lens. Any lens can take pictures of landscapes.  People often use WA or UWA as landscape lenses because you either can't back away from or frame the area you want. The Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens or Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens are best choices for your T5.

"...do other brands of lenses work on the T5 ..."

Yes other brands do work on your T5. However, I would stick with Tamron and Sigma and only newer models. When there is no good reason to not to buy Canon I advise against it. And here there is no good reason as both these lenses are close to your budget. The 10-18mm a bit less and the better 10-22mm a bit more.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

How about the 16-35 F4 lens for landscapes?

I know it's a bit out of the stated price range, but I'm looking for a good landscape lens as well.  I recently acquired a used a 5D mk IV and only have the 10-18.  (which is pretty awesome for an inexpensive lens)

I've got a friend looking to sell her 16-35 for a reasonable price, and I just wondered about using it for landscapes and star trails / Milky Way pics.

" I recently acquired a used a 5D mk IV and only have the 10-18."

If you have the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM it will not fit on your 5D Mk IV. Plus if you did manage to get it mounted, there are ways, it could severely damage your 5D Mk IV.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I didn't clarify very well.

I have a 7D mk II, so the 10-18 EF-works well on that camera.  It's a good combination!

In addition to the 7D, I acquired a 5D mk IV, and need an 'equivalent' lens for it.   I was looking at the 16-35 f4 to go with that camera.

1. the 10-18 is a great crop sensor lens, but don't even try to use it on a FF body.

2. the 16-35mm f/4 is an excellent landscape lens. Also works well for star trails and Milky Way shooting. You loose a stop compared to the f/2.8 lenses but newer cameras have good high ISO performance and the 16-35 has very little distortion. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks JRhoffman75.   I appreciate the feedback.

Announcements