cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens date code problem

Lisablue85
Apprentice
Hi all! I'm hoping someone could help me in determining the date my kit lens was manufactured. I've "googled" all morning & searched these forums & others, with no success. I bought my Canon 6d /24-105mm kit last March 2014 & saved the boxes and all paperwork but see only an 8 digit serial number on the lens & paperwork. The white box it came in had the same numbers but this >(21) in front of it. It's driving me crazy! Am I missing something?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

It took some time for Canon to 'figure it out', but some photographers obsess about how old or new a lens is. Some go so far as they won't purchase a used <whatever> that's more than a couple of years old. So, they did away with putting date codes on their lenses perhaps 2 years ago or so.

Unless one has access to Canons' internal files that show serial number ranges for each lens and the dates they were manufactured, there is no way to determine when a 'newer' lens was manufactured.

And, for what it's worth, when I had EF-S lenses, I don't recall seeing a code on any of them. Only Ls had date codes as far as I know. My EF 85 f1.8 2 years ago didn't have a date code, either.

And do I care that my 80-200 f2.8L 'magic drainpipe' was manufactured in '93 rather than '94 or whenever? Not a bit! It produces great images for a fraction of what a then-new 70-200 f2.8L mark i would have cost 3 years ago...

View solution in original post

Just be honest with them. Indicated that you bought the lens with the camera in 03/2014 and the serial # xxx. And tell them you don't know the manufacture date, and they can find it out themselves. I used to do that to sell my used lens.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

I bought my 24-105 in 2012, and it has a serial number of only seven digits. So it's reasonable to assume that your lens wasn't very old when you bought it. Why do you care? Is there a recall of some copies of that lens?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'm thinking about selling it, I rarely use it and am really interested in the 135mm. If I decide to sell, date codes are important to some. Thanks for replying!

It took some time for Canon to 'figure it out', but some photographers obsess about how old or new a lens is. Some go so far as they won't purchase a used <whatever> that's more than a couple of years old. So, they did away with putting date codes on their lenses perhaps 2 years ago or so.

Unless one has access to Canons' internal files that show serial number ranges for each lens and the dates they were manufactured, there is no way to determine when a 'newer' lens was manufactured.

And, for what it's worth, when I had EF-S lenses, I don't recall seeing a code on any of them. Only Ls had date codes as far as I know. My EF 85 f1.8 2 years ago didn't have a date code, either.

And do I care that my 80-200 f2.8L 'magic drainpipe' was manufactured in '93 rather than '94 or whenever? Not a bit! It produces great images for a fraction of what a then-new 70-200 f2.8L mark i would have cost 3 years ago...

I know, right! Not all, but some do want to know when it was manufactured. Me... I just want it sharp, clean inside, & in great working order, lol! Since I'm thinking of selling & know some are concerned about "manufacture dates", wanted to be prepared if subject came up. Thanks so much for your help & answering my question!

Just be honest with them. Indicated that you bought the lens with the camera in 03/2014 and the serial # xxx. And tell them you don't know the manufacture date, and they can find it out themselves. I used to do that to sell my used lens.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Thanks! Great suggestion! I think with Bratkinson's & your post, I'm definitely "good to go"!! Have a great weekend & thanks for the help!
Announcements