cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens cleaning

Kalea
Apprentice

Hi All,

Took my camera to the beach & now the lens is cloudy.  Would love to know best way to clean it with out scratching it.

Thanks for your help

Karen

14 REPLIES 14

Its my 18 - 55, & cloudy the outside. I will check out the link. Yank you.

Karen

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am guessing you mean the glass part?  You can wipe off the plastic tube part with a micro fiber cloth with a little Windex on it.

You really need to buy a filter to protect the glass if the beach is one of your preferred spots. However, I like eyeglasses cleaning stuff, special cloth and solution, for the lens when I have to clean it.  That is very rare though as I protect mine as much as possible.

I have some, many actually, lenses that have never been cleaned.  And my gear gets used, I mean used!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

yes the glass part, unfortunately didn't have a filter on it. Wasn't sure if glass cleaner was a good option, considerating it might have sand on it.

Thank you

Kalea,

Take a look at THIS YouTube Video as well. It might be a little easier to understand since Holly shows you exactly how to clean your gear.

We hope this helps! 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Beware of Windex. It is not recommended for eyeglasses. Because it contains stuff like ammonia, Windex will attack and destroy lens coatings.

Keep Windex away coated glass.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:
Beware of Windex. It is not recommended for eyeglasses. Because it contains stuff like ammonia, Windex will attack and destroy lens coatings.

Keep Windex away coated glass.

Totally agree with Waddizzle.  I would use a blower and a lens brush to gently remove the sand particles and then use generous amounts of an optical lens cleaner - available from opticians and camera stores to wash the front of the lens - holding the lens downwards to avoid the liquid from flowing into the lens.  For cleaning I would use a proper lens cleaning cloth - again from opticians and camera stores.  I avoid anything with lint or microfibre as they leave materials on the glass.

Definitely I would recommend a protective filter.  ALL of my lenses have one.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
You guys should read more carefully. No one suggested using Windex on the glass.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:
You guys should read more carefully. No one suggested using Windex on the glass.

We know that.  No one suggested you did.  I simply pointed out that you need to keep it away from the glass.  If you are using it to clean the lens body, then the temptation is there to use it clean the glass.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements