cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens adapter question.

star
Contributor

Can I adapt a Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM ...and a Nikon D40X body? If so, what adapter?

Thanks, Tony

19 REPLIES 19

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

A 70D and that lens will work fine.  Smiley Very Happy

A 7D Mark II will work even finer. Let's face it: any self-admitted newbie who can step out and buy his SO a $2000 lens without batting an eye isn't going to be put off by the $400 extra that it takes to get a camera that more nearly matches the lens's quality.

That was my first thought too. I almost just went straight to recommending the 5d3, since money doesn't seem to be an issue.

I admit I don't follow the issue closely, as I have no intent of ever buying a 70D.  But given the large amount of reported issues with AF, and a multitude of better options near that price range, I just can't recommend a 70D unless it was primarily for video.

star
Contributor
Oh, this is an expensive hobby you folks are into!

And you......it sounds like!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

star
Contributor

Please alow me to explain, 2k is a lot of money for a camera lens...lots!  My wife of 27 years thought she might want to upgrade her camera bag, this was almost a year ago, so I salted away a few dollars just to surprise her when the moment grabbed her.

We have both seen the images this Canon EF 70-200 (mounted to a 70D) produced and I just placed it in the back of my mind for a later date...she's worth it.

I'm as dumb as a stump on camera gear, jumped into the deep end of the pool when I thought this would mount to "any" camera body and here we are. Noob!

I appreciate all the help here, really. 

Tony

@star wrote:

Please alow me to explain, 2k is a lot of money for a camera lens...lots!  My wife of 27 years thought she might want to upgrade her camera bag, this was almost a year ago, so I salted away a few dollars just to surprise her when the moment grabbed her.

We have both seen the images this Canon EF 70-200 (mounted to a 70D) produced and I just placed it in the back of my mind for a later date...she's worth it.

I'm as dumb as a stump on camera gear, jumped into the deep end of the pool when I thought this would mount to "any" camera body and here we are. Noob!

Tony

You bought your wife a very fine lens. Many of us in this forum have it, and all of us think it's excellent. (Full disclosure: Mine actually belongs to my employer, but I'm the only one who uses it.)

The lens will perform admirably on any Canon DSLR. It's intended for a full-frame camera (1Dx, 6D, all 5D variants) and will be more of a telephoto lens on "crop-frame" cameras (7D, 70D, all Rebels). But depending on your objective at the time, that can be a benefit, not a drawback.

The poorly kept secret is that all of Canon's crop-frame DSLRs share nearly identical sensors and therefore are capable of nearly identical image quality. There are lots of differences among the cameras, but they generally involve convenience features and differences in auto-focus speed and accuracy. So whatever body you decide to buy, you should make out OK.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Agree with Bob said re the lens & bodies. There are entry level bodies thru bodies aimed at specific fields of interest such as sports vs landscape. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

star,

Basic fact.  A poor lens will not help a great camera but a great lens can make a poor camera great.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@star wrote:

Tony

Something that no one has mentioned (probably because this is a Canon site):  you could return the Canon 70-200 and buy the Nikon version that fits onto her current camera.  They have a Mark II (I think it's called VR2) as well, and it's about the same price.  The pixel peepers will say the Canon one is better, but the reality is that they're both terrific lenses.

star
Contributor
skir, yeah...different perspective. I opted for the Wi-Fi ready 70d her brother has, it's a safe play and I can wash my hands of this minor mess. 😉

Excellent.  Hope she enjoys it, a nice "little" setup she has there.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements