cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens adapter Sigma to Canon

jayne-lp
Apprentice

Hi all,

I have a Canon T3i and recently bought lens Sigma 24-135mm f/2.8-4.5, but I just realized that it doesn't fit in my camera.

I would like to know if I can easily find an adapter and which one could be. I found one in Amazon, but I'm not sure if works to my camera, because in the description says that is for EOS.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CWXO64E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1S9OMG83CAC4S

Please help me, if I cannot find an adapter I have to return the lens, and I have just some days to do it.

Thank you.

17 REPLIES 17

That adapter won't work for you. It converts the lens to EOS M, and that's differnet from the standard EOS mount on your T3i.

Usually when one buys a Sigma lens for a Canon camera, it's a lens that Sigma builds especially for the Canon EOS mount. Since that's apparently not what you have, you have to be careful. There is a Sigma mount, but it isn't widely used, and you might have trouble finding an adapter to fit both your lens and the camera. Otherwise, it's probably for a Nikon or Sony mount; and even if you find an adapter, it might not translate all of the lens's features correctly. If I were you, I think I'd send the lens back if it doesn't work on your camera without an adapter.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

hsbn
Whiz
If you cannot return and exchange, contact Sigma, they offer mount changing service.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

An adapter is not the answer.  You will hate it even if there is such a thing.  Adapters rarely work well in any case.

If it is "recently bought" you should be able to exchange it.  Really your only option.

Possibly, you bought it used since it is a discontinued lens.  So, in that case you should try to resell it after you determine whcih mount you have.  Don't waste any time or money on an adapter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite
Sigma makes lenses to fit Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. etc. but it's not just that the lens mates the camera's mounting flange... it's that the electronics inside the lens and the contact pins that communicate with the body are designed to work with a speciifc brand. A lens designed for (just as an example) Nikon is not going to work on a Canon and even if you adapted the mounting flange, the electronics would be all wrong.

If you can return the lens for the Canon compatible version... that's what you want to do. If you can't return the lens, Contact Sigma. I don't know that they can swap out the mount and electronics (sometimes it's not quite that simple since the flange-to-focal-plane distance is not the same between the different brands and the optics are designed for a specific back-focus distance).
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I have a Canon 400D Digital Camera and Sigma Telephoto 1:5.6 f400mm lens that works with an adapter I purchased off Ebay.co.uk.
The Adapter is marked with CY - EOS.

I leave the lens on f5.6 and Camera on AV, it works for my Bird Photography.

For the same money or maybe a bit less you could have bought  the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens  that is fully functioning and no need for an adapter.  Just saying.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

For the same money or maybe a bit less you could have bought  the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens  that is fully functioning and no need for an adapter.  Just saying.

I had heard some negative comments of the the 75-300 as generally regarded as the worst in Canon's line-up and the results for it on the 400D are not encouraging accordig to DxO Mark:

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Canon/EF75-300-mm-f-4-5.6-III-USM-mounted-on-Canon-EOS-400D__184

It gets absolutely boraxed on sharpness.

Having also looked at several other review sites I would not encourage anyone to get the 75-300 MkIII (or any version thereof).

One may be able to get a 70-300 MkI at a reasonable price and that is a much better unit.  I have both the 400D and this lens, so I shall take a few shots and include them in a post.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor,

Not saying or recommend buying the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens on its own merits.  Just saying it is a better option than the Sigma Telephoto 1:5.6 f400mm.  Any Canon lens is better than that!

EB

Hi EB! 🙂

I don't actually know much anything that Sigma lens so I shall bow to your knowledge in that one. I also agree that adding adapters is often an added complication one hopes to avoid.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements