Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Suitability Confirmation please ?

kp220
Apprentice

Hi

Newbie here so please be gentle...

I have an old EOS 500 Film camera... together with two lenses ... 

1. An EF 28-80mm II and 

2. An EF 75-300mm II

I am looking at a step into Digital SLR - only for my own pleasure ... and am looking at an EOS 1300D 

My question is whether these two lens will be compatible with the new camera ?

Thanks

Keith

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Any current EOS DSLR cameras should work just fine with the lenses.

Be aware that digital SLR cameras can have different image sensor sizes.  Sensors are expensive.  You can have a "full frame" sensor, which is approximately the identical size as exposed 35mm film. 

Or, you can have a less expensive, smaller sensor, such as an APS-C sensor, which is approximately half the size of full frame sensors.  The exact size of the smaller image sensors varies slightly from one manufacturer to the next. 

One result of a smaller sensor is that only the center portion of the image circle projected by the lens hits the image senaor.  The net effect is that the image is "cropped", or seemingly zoomed in slightly.  Put it another way, the Angle-Of-View is reduced by the smaller sensor. 

The amount of apparent image cropping, or zooming, is expressed in terms of a ratio compared to a full frame sensor, or 35mm film equivalent.  The multiplication ratio is 1.6.  You would multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.6, to come up with what the equivalent focal length would be with a 35mm film camera.

With the cropping factor, suddenly your current lenses will seem and fill a bit longer.  Fortunately, the 1300D typically comes with an 18-55mm lens to get you started.  This range should fit right in with your existing lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

Same camera. 

It is called T6 in the US and 1300d in Europe and other places.  In Japan I think they call it the "Kiss" something. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@kp220 wrote:
Thanks Waddizzle... really appreciate you taking the time to respond..
Just one other point ... if I may... On some of the pages I look at there is no mention of the EOS 1300D Model and on others it relates it to another Model - the Rebel T6 ?? whats that all about ??
Thanks in advance...

Canon calls some of its cameras, particularly the "Rebel" series, by different names in different countries. Why? Just to cause confusion, one supposes. (They always ignore the question when someone asks, but why else would they do it?) It confused you, so it must be working!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Any current EOS DSLR cameras should work just fine with the lenses.

Be aware that digital SLR cameras can have different image sensor sizes.  Sensors are expensive.  You can have a "full frame" sensor, which is approximately the identical size as exposed 35mm film. 

Or, you can have a less expensive, smaller sensor, such as an APS-C sensor, which is approximately half the size of full frame sensors.  The exact size of the smaller image sensors varies slightly from one manufacturer to the next. 

One result of a smaller sensor is that only the center portion of the image circle projected by the lens hits the image senaor.  The net effect is that the image is "cropped", or seemingly zoomed in slightly.  Put it another way, the Angle-Of-View is reduced by the smaller sensor. 

The amount of apparent image cropping, or zooming, is expressed in terms of a ratio compared to a full frame sensor, or 35mm film equivalent.  The multiplication ratio is 1.6.  You would multiply the focal length of a lens by 1.6, to come up with what the equivalent focal length would be with a 35mm film camera.

With the cropping factor, suddenly your current lenses will seem and fill a bit longer.  Fortunately, the 1300D typically comes with an 18-55mm lens to get you started.  This range should fit right in with your existing lenses.

Just one other point ... if I may... On some of the pages I look at there is no mention of the EOS 1300D Model and on others it relates it to another Model - the Rebel T6 ?? whats that all about ??
Thanks in advance...

Same camera. 

It is called T6 in the US and 1300d in Europe and other places.  In Japan I think they call it the "Kiss" something. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

@kp220 wrote:
Thanks in advance...

Canon calls some of its cameras, particularly the "Rebel" series, by different names in different countries. Why? Just to cause confusion, one supposes. (They always ignore the question when someone asks, but why else would they do it?) It confused you, so it must be working!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

Smiley LOL

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think in some instances they need different names due to linguistic and cultural differences.  

The Chevy Nova had an image problem in latin america at first because "No va" means "doesn't go" or "doesn't run" in spanish.  

There was a big Pepsi ad campaign that cratered in Asia uears ago because "join the Pepsi generation" translated into a strange promise that the soft drink will bring back your dead ancestors.  

Coke had problems in asia too, when their name, phonetically pronounced, translated into something about biting into a tadpole.

Scott

@kvbarkley wrote:

ScottyP:

Not quite:

[deleted]

Snopes has it wrong about the Nova.  I speak fluent Spanish.  It might be a cultural legend, but the dozens of people I know from South America have laugh at the name....and the car since the 1980s.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements