cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Scratch, Disaster or No Big Deal?

bodacious5000
Apprentice

So I finally got an L lens and then put off getting a UV filter.  Dumb.  Anyway I got a scratch near to the center to of the front element.  Is this a big deal, or something that just happens and I should stop obsessing over it?  Is there any way to fix this?  Thanks.

photo-fixed.jpg

6 REPLIES 6

cicopo
Elite

Unless you can see it in your images it's nothing to be concerned about. This might lessen the worries.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Usually stuff on the front lens element is "out-of-focus" (OOF) and won't be seen in your photographs. But there is a reason Canon doesn't pre-scratch it's lens! It isn't good, so get the filter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

hsbn
Whiz

If i'm not mistaken, that lens doesn't have a hood. You can buy a knock off one for cheap off ebay. Lens hood is a better protection than UV filter IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

my 24-105 came with a hood.  I use it every time.  Well, nearly every time.  Good lens protection, though useless against improper wiping technique.  Also good for avoiding lens flare and increasing color saturation, which is the primary purpose.

You may find it hard to sell the lens someday on Ebay, but other than that you will probably never see any difference in your photos.  Don't use a cheap-o filter if you get a filter.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

All 24-105 L come with hoods in the box.

A UV filter will degrade the image more than that tiny little scratch , your much better using the hood, even though its quite shallow. The only time I'd use a filter would be in extreme condition like a sand storm.

Others will disagree and say get a filter, well that's fine, but if you go that way make sure you get a good quality one and not a cheap bit of rubbish. I have B+W 77mm MRC F-Pro UV filters for when needed.

EF 24-70 f/2.8 L, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS, EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 EF 1.4 II Extender

580EX MKII, 430EX MKII

"A UV filter will degrade the image more than that tiny little scratch ..."

I would much prefer to have the filter than that "tiny little scratch"!  But that's just me.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements