cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Review - EF 70-210, f4

trossit
Enthusiast

Has anyone owned this 1st generation 70-210 f4 from 1987?  What did you think of its performance?  Would it be a lens worth keeping?s-l1600 (4).jpg

13 REPLIES 13

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Since you own the lens my suggestion is that you try it under the conditions that you will be using it and see if you are satisfied with the results. You are the ultimate judge; doesn't matter what others thing if you are satisfied (or unsatisfied). 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"You are the ultimate judge; doesn't matter what others thing if you are satisfied..."

Try it you just might like it. Is this a working lens or a prestige lens? So if it is a worker, what do you care what others think if it does it for you?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have only taken a few dozen pictures with it...mostly nature photograpgy and so far so good.  Here is an example.IMG_2091.JPG

I actually have one of these and I have used it only a limited amount of the time.  It seems sharp enough, but given that it has no Image Stabilization, it is much more challenging to get a sharp shot at the long end of the telephoto range than say the 55-250 IS STM or USM units - which are kit lenses commonly available.

Here are links to a couple of reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4jcKYIHK5s

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/70-210mm.htm

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Trevor,

Thanks for the great review links.  Yes it would be nice if it had IS but I am going to experiment with it using a monopod...it should help!

Tom

Trevor,

I was interested, do you know the proper use of the Macro switch on this lens?  What is the best technique to get the best Macro effect for example bees on flowers. insects, etc?  

Thanks,

Tom

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I owned this lens back when I was making heavy use of my EOS 650 film camera.  I was very happy with it at the time but it has been too long since I owned and used it to compare with my current glass.

As Ernie stated, if it does what you want it to do then it is a good lens.  I wouldn't buy one now unless it was REALLY cheap because it is an older lens that could fail at any time and wouldn't be practical to repair. Lens design and materials have improved a lot since 1987 but I would still give it a close look if the other option was a mainland Chinese off-brand lens that has become more plentiful in the last few years.

I have a EF 135 f2.8 that is in the same age range (1987 design year), it is an odd lens (has adjustable levels of "soft focus") and it is the oldest lens I own and it still works fine.   It was given to me and I have had fun experimenting with it but it isn't one I would seek out and buy.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Yes, I bought this lens from a reputable eBay dealer for $85.  Its very clean, looks hardly used.  I am new to the DSLR world so I ask a lot of questions.  It is kind of shocking its over 30 years old but I also have had some FD lenses from that period that were very sharp and well made.  I figured a lens Made in Japan is going to be of a higher quality vs a newer design made in Taiwn or Malaysia....but I guess thats not always the case.

Things I like:

Contant f4 apature

Quality old school feel

Made in Japan

Things I don't like:

Macro AF is jumpy

Manual focus is horrible, focusing ring feels sticky (plastic)

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
That switch just controls the focusing range. The non-macro position limits the focusing range and allows the lens to focus more quickly since has less distance to traverse when seeking correct focus.

Switching to the macro position lets the lens focus closer. For most Canon lenses macro just means close.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements