cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Repair

OATT
Apprentice

Hello all.  My issue is that I stupidly left one of my lenses (50mm 1.4) outside and it got rained on.  We sent it to Canon for a repair estimate and were told $150 to get to a certain point and only then would they know if something additional needed repair.  We figured we might wind up paying as much as the lens cost in the first place so we just kind of sat on it. 

My husband decided to not only replace it for me for Christmas but he got me an upgrade with the 50mm 1.2L.  Now we have an unusable lens that we don't want to spend any more on but I can't bear to just throw it in the trash.  What are our options?  Does Canon buy products like these back from the customer to sell as refurbished?  Is there a possibility someone would want to buy it for, say, $50 and pay for the repair themselves and potentially get it at half the price of a new one?

This is all new to me and I would appreciate some guidance.  Thank you.  Smiley Happy

12 REPLIES 12

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@OATT wrote:

Hello all.  My issue is that I stupidly left one of my lenses (50mm 1.4) outside and it got rained on.  We sent it to Canon for a repair estimate and were told $150 to get to a certain point and only then would they know if something additional needed repair.  We figured we might wind up paying as much as the lens cost in the first place so we just kind of sat on it. 

My husband decided to not only replace it for me for Christmas but he got me an upgrade with the 50mm 1.2L.  Now we have an unusable lens that we don't want to spend any more on but I can't bear to just throw it in the trash.  What are our options?  Does Canon buy products like these back from the customer to sell as refurbished?  Is there a possibility someone would want to buy it for, say, $50 and pay for the repair themselves and potentially get it at half the price of a new one?

This is all new to me and I would appreciate some guidance.  Thank you.  Smiley Happy

I guess it is too late now, but, Canon might have given you credit for it through their customer loyalty program on the purchase of the upgrade if you had purchased it directly from Canon. Something to keep in mind in the future. 

OATT
Apprentice

Hello all.  I apologize for just now getting back to the thread and I appreciate the responses. 

To answer some questions-----yes, it got soaked.  The camera bag I had previously had room for everything but that one lens so I had it in the little suede drawstring bag they come with.  I brought everything out to the deck and when I was done I grabbed my camera bag and just completely forgot about that little bag tucked up against the chair leg.  It was 3 days later (and after several storms) when my husband found it out there.  Woman Sad

The next day he brought it in to our local business to see what the next step would be and came home with a camera bag big enough for all of my gear (with room to grow as well) so I won't have stray lenses laying around anymore. 

I think I would be considered a novice.  No apologies necessary for that assumption.  Woman Very Happy  I've only had my camera 2.5 years.  I've been extremely careful aside from that completely avoidable and stupid oversight.  Every bit of gear I have (aside from one lens that he wanted me to choose for myself) has been a surprise gift from my husband.  I don't work and I feel guilty spending money on myself but he knows the passion I have for photography and enjoys being able to indulge me in that by making sure I have the equipment I *need.*  That's why I felt just sick when I realized what I'd done. 

Thank you all again for the responses.  I look forward to participating more in the forums. 

Tiffany

Tiffany,

It sounds like you are well on the way to recovery!   Smiley Happy  But first off get a front filter for the new 50mm f1.2LL.  Today!  It is not weather resistant without one.

"I recommend the B+W - 72mm UV Haze MRC 010M Filter."  Remember you MUST get a filter in the same quality class as the lens.  Matter of fact it is always better to keep your gear in the same quality class.  It just works better that way.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements