cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Question

umiedotre9
Apprentice

I currently own a Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS with just a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. It was given as a gift and I don't know much about cameras.

I'm looking to buy a lens for doing more zoom shots (mostly nature and wildlife), would the a Canon 75-300mm EF Zoom lens be enough? Not looking to spend crazy money as photography is just more of a weekend/hiking hobby. Do I need a lens hood?

Any other recommendations of lens or things I should pick up would be great!

11 REPLIES 11

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The EF 75-300 does not have image stabilization. A much better option is the Canon EF-S 55-250 IS or EF-S 55-250 IS STM. They are both sharper than the 75-300 and both have image stabilization. They both can be bought second hand for about $100-$150.

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...would the a Canon 75-300mm EF Zoom lens be enough?"

For a casual person not really interested in photography but wants to to play around that lens will be fine.  Lots of people use them and lots of people like them.  However, the problem may be after a while you really like wildlife photography.  That lens would probably not be the best choice. The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS is a better lens but you are giving up nearly 50mm of telephoto. This means you will need to get much closer to whatever wildlife you are shooting.

IMHO, I would go ahead and get the 75-300mm especially since if you do get bitten by the photography bug, which is likely BTW, you will also want a better camera.  If not Smiley Sad than you didn't spend too much to find out.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Rather than get the dubious 75-300 lens, I would suggest seeking a decent used 70-300 MkI lens.  They are optically superior to the kit unit and can be had for a song since the MkII version came out on the market.   I still have my MkI unit and it still does a  great job (just as it did in the old days) - it was always a step up from the 75-300. 

My point is that the OP will get a better shooting experience and better build quality with roughly the same outlay as a 75-300 MkIII unit.

For the OP's information this is the lens I am referring to: Review of Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM 

I include a link also to my post on this lens range: Non-L 70-300mm lenses 

I actually went out and shot with this lens today, using a Canon EOS 650D (Rebel T4i), in rather atrocious conditions.

IMG_1083 LR.jpg

Canon EOS 650D, EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM MkI, 140mm, f/9, 1/100sec, ISO-800  Hand-held.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I totally agree with you. However, this user is not at the same level or requirements as you or I.

"For a casual person not really interested in photography but wants to to play around, that lens will be fine."

In my short lived but informative and interesting "DSLR 101" classes, I found most beginners loved that lens. They were fine with it and never expressed a desire for an advanced or more better lens. I am good either way though.

EB

Hi Ernie

I hope you are keeping safe and well.

Even given the OP's current casual involvement, (and of course I always hope they will catch the bug!), my research indicated that a second-hand 70-300 would come in around $200 US, and that is roughly equivalent to what Canon is selling the 75-300 unit at new. I think it will serve the OP better (esp. as it has IS and they should get a better hit rate), and if they decided to sell it would probably get a better resale price, both for the quality of the build and optics, and for the fact it's an EF lens and thus has a wide resale market.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Note the current prices in the Canon USA Refurbished Store

45031AD0-CEE4-44CC-AA55-FF21FF23C7DA.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Glad you found this. I must admit I was looking at second-hand websites in the US rather than Canon's refurbished line. I guess the question will be if the OP thinks the unit they want is worth the difference. {:-)

cheers, TREVOR

"I guess the question will be if the OP thinks the unit they want is worth the difference."

Exactly the point, my friend. Generally beginners are mostly interested in getting started as cheaply as possible. That's why the ones that do get bitten by the photography bug buy their gear twice. I admit the ones that do are well in the minority. Most folks just want good pictures.

Also, giving you the big head now, they don't get the results that you seem to pull out of these lenses! Smiley Happy

Safe safe, this thing ain't over yet. I help teach at the area schools and I am a bit apprehensive about school starting up.

EB

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

We have been covid free for about 6 weeks and as more NZers return they are subject to a mandatory 14 day isolation during which time they are tested twice. That has been catching cases as they come in, and we have had 22 such so far that are in managed isolation.  So internally life is pretty normal, but our borders are closed to almost all but citizens and permanent residents.

There is some pressure to open up for the border to stimulate the economy, but based on what is happening elsewhere - especially Oz, which we had hopes of forming a bubble with, but is not experiencing a second wave, that is too great a risk for most of us.  We may extend our national bubble to cover some of the Pacific islands, such as the Cook Islands and Rarotonga, mabye even Fiji - but that is still under review.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements