Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Highlighted
New Contributor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎04-16-2020

Lens Error 1

I recently acquired a Canon EOS 7D and two lenses, an EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM and an EF 50mm f/1.8 II. When I try to use the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM, it constantly gives me error code 01, that the contacts on the lens need to be cleaned, even right after I cleaned them. What should I do?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,963
Registered: ‎02-17-2016

Re: Lens Error 1

If you got it new from an authorised dealer, call Canon Support. They will walk you through a test and if necessary, arrange for a warranty repair.

 

If not, contact the seller.

Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 12,547
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Lens Error 1

"... even right after I cleaned them. What should I do?"

 

Yeah, that almost never, to never, works or helps. You do need to call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666.  The first thing they will tell you to do is clean the contacts!Smiley Happy  It is a feel good thing with them I think.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 12,547
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Lens Error 1

"...arrange for a warranty repair."

 

That's not likely since the 7D is over 10 years old now.  I doubt any new ones are left on a store's shelf. But ya never know, doesn't hurt to ask. 

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 9,670
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Lens Error 1

[ Edited ]

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...arrange for a warranty repair."

 

That's not likely since the 7D is over 10 years old now.  I doubt any new ones are left on a store's shelf. But ya never know, doesn't hurt to ask. 


Don't forget.  Many used camera equipment dealers offer up to180 day warranties on used gear.  

 

[EDIT] I find the combination of camera a lenses to be just a little odd.  A 6D would make more sense.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Reputable Contributor
Posts: 972
Registered: ‎01-25-2018

Re: Lens Error 1

"Yeah, that almost never, to never, works or helps. You do need to call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666.  The first thing they will tell you to do is clean the contacts!Smiley Happy  It is a feel good thing with them I think"

 

I went through the same thing for years with Verizon and later Frontier when I had a landline.  The service would fail regularly due to a farmer hitting a pedestal, mice chewing on wires in a pedestal, or just plain failure from lack of maintenance but they always started with: "have you plugged in a phone at the network interface box".  I always jumped through that hoop but the problem was ALWAYS on their side of the network.

 

The contacts are self wiping on the lens/body interface so it is rare that cleaning will help but I am sure it has helped in a small number of cases.

 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,440
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Lens Error 1


@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...arrange for a warranty repair."

 

That's not likely since the 7D is over 10 years old now.  I doubt any new ones are left on a store's shelf. But ya never know, doesn't hurt to ask. 


Don't forget.  Many used camera equipment dealers offer up to180 day warranties on used gear.  

 

[EDIT] I find the combination of camera a lenses to be just a little odd.  A 6D would make more sense.


A little odd, maybe, but not a lot odd. When I bought my second 7D, I chose the 24-105 II as the kit lens, because I was hoping to go FF eventually. It wasn't the ideal focal length for a 7D, but I got some really good pictures with it. And now I still think it's the best outdoor walkaround lens on my 5D3 and 5D4.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 9,670
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Lens Error 1


@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...arrange for a warranty repair."

 

That's not likely since the 7D is over 10 years old now.  I doubt any new ones are left on a store's shelf. But ya never know, doesn't hurt to ask. 


Don't forget.  Many used camera equipment dealers offer up to180 day warranties on used gear.  

 

[EDIT] I find the combination of camera a lenses to be just a little odd.  A 6D would make more sense.


A little odd, maybe, but not a lot odd. When I bought my second 7D, I chose the 24-105 II as the kit lens, because I was hoping to go FF eventually. It wasn't the ideal focal length for a 7D, but I got some really good pictures with it. And now I still think it's the best outdoor walkaround lens on my 5D3 and 5D4.


No, I think that combo of body and two lenses is more than just a little odd.  It's almost like someone pulled model numbers out of hat.  Granted, it is useful combination for a lot of photo pursuits.  It could do a decent job at taking outdoor portraits.

 

But, it is a ten year old camera paired with two full frame lenses.  One lens is fairly new, and I cannot be certain which version of the 50mm is being referenced.  It is the 24-105mm that is out of place.  It is the age of the lens, not the range of focal lengths, especially when paired with a 50mm prime.

 

BTW, is that a typo, or did you really buy the original version of the 24-105?  

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
New Contributor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎04-16-2020

Re: Lens Error 1

I got them together for next to nothing
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 9,670
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Lens Error 1


@gabe54432 wrote:
I got them together for next to nothing

Sounds like someone sold their bookends.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement