cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Error 1

gabe54432
Apprentice

I recently acquired a Canon EOS 7D and two lenses, an EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM and an EF 50mm f/1.8 II. When I try to use the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM, it constantly gives me error code 01, that the contacts on the lens need to be cleaned, even right after I cleaned them. What should I do?

15 REPLIES 15

@gabe54432 wrote:
I got them together for next to nothing

Sounds like someone sold their bookends.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I got them together for next to nothing"

Good for you.  They are fine and will work very well for you. I am glad I didn't have anybody give me advice like that or put notons in my head. I had two 7D's and I used the ef 24-70mm f2.8 for years.  They made me a lot of money, too! The 7D is a wonderful camera.

I didn't have the 50mm f1.8 but I do have the ef 50mm f1.2L and I love it too.  No matter what camera and/or lens you have somebody will always try to tell you, you can't do this or that with it.  Or it isn't a good choice and, yeah, that isn't the greatest choice but it is very good and will do a great job for you.  In the end it is you that makes it work.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I got them together for next to nothing"

Good for you.  They are fine and will work very well for you. I am glad I didn't have anybody give me advice like that or put notons in my head. I had two 7D's and I used the ef 24-70mm f2.8 for years.  They made me a lot of money, too! The 7D is a wonderful camera.

I didn't have the 50mm f1.8 but I do have the ef 50mm f1.2L and I love it too.  No matter what camera and/or lens you have somebody will always try to tell you, you can't do this or that with it.  Or it isn't a good choice and, yeah, that isn't the greatest choice but it is very good and will do a great job for you.  In the end it is you that makes it work.

What about the lens error?  It does not sound like the gear is fully functional.  Something is not right in there, somewhere.  It should probably be returned!

"It should probably be returned!"

Diffidently choice.  As is a repair because the gear is very good and it seems the price was right. I would at least inquire about fixing it.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"It should probably be returned!"

Diffidently choice.  As is a repair because the gear is very good and it seems the price was right. I would at least inquire about fixing it.

So, which piece needs to be repaired?  I would bypass that headache and simply return it, if that is still possible.

"... it seems the price was right."

You don't know this.  Suppose he got it free? It is silly to just make a "its broken so return it".  You don't know the territory. There are several options.  Exploring repair is one.

EB
Announcements