cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Error 1

gabe54432
Apprentice

I recently acquired a Canon EOS 7D and two lenses, an EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM and an EF 50mm f/1.8 II. When I try to use the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM, it constantly gives me error code 01, that the contacts on the lens need to be cleaned, even right after I cleaned them. What should I do?

15 REPLIES 15

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you got it new from an authorised dealer, call Canon Support. They will walk you through a test and if necessary, arrange for a warranty repair.

If not, contact the seller.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... even right after I cleaned them. What should I do?"

Yeah, that almost never, to never, works or helps. You do need to call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666.  The first thing they will tell you to do is clean the contacts!Smiley Happy  It is a feel good thing with them I think.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Yeah, that almost never, to never, works or helps. You do need to call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666.  The first thing they will tell you to do is clean the contacts!Smiley Happy  It is a feel good thing with them I think"

I went through the same thing for years with Verizon and later Frontier when I had a landline.  The service would fail regularly due to a farmer hitting a pedestal, mice chewing on wires in a pedestal, or just plain failure from lack of maintenance but they always started with: "have you plugged in a phone at the network interface box".  I always jumped through that hoop but the problem was ALWAYS on their side of the network.

The contacts are self wiping on the lens/body interface so it is rare that cleaning will help but I am sure it has helped in a small number of cases.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...arrange for a warranty repair."

That's not likely since the 7D is over 10 years old now.  I doubt any new ones are left on a store's shelf. But ya never know, doesn't hurt to ask. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

That's not likely since the 7D is over 10 years old now.  I doubt any new ones are left on a store's shelf. But ya never know, doesn't hurt to ask. 

Don't forget.  Many used camera equipment dealers offer up to180 day warranties on used gear.  

[EDIT] I find the combination of camera a lenses to be just a little odd.  A 6D would make more sense.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Don't forget.  Many used camera equipment dealers offer up to180 day warranties on used gear.  

[EDIT] I find the combination of camera a lenses to be just a little odd.  A 6D would make more sense.

A little odd, maybe, but not a lot odd. When I bought my second 7D, I chose the 24-105 II as the kit lens, because I was hoping to go FF eventually. It wasn't the ideal focal length for a 7D, but I got some really good pictures with it. And now I still think it's the best outdoor walkaround lens on my 5D3 and 5D4.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

A little odd, maybe, but not a lot odd. When I bought my second 7D, I chose the 24-105 II as the kit lens, because I was hoping to go FF eventually. It wasn't the ideal focal length for a 7D, but I got some really good pictures with it. And now I still think it's the best outdoor walkaround lens on my 5D3 and 5D4.

No, I think that combo of body and two lenses is more than just a little odd.  It's almost like someone pulled model numbers out of hat.  Granted, it is useful combination for a lot of photo pursuits.  It could do a decent job at taking outdoor portraits.

But, it is a ten year old camera paired with two full frame lenses.  One lens is fairly new, and I cannot be certain which version of the 50mm is being referenced.  It is the 24-105mm that is out of place.  It is the age of the lens, not the range of focal lengths, especially when paired with a 50mm prime.

BTW, is that a typo, or did you really buy the original version of the 24-105?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

No, I think that combo of body and two lenses is more than just a little odd.  It's almost like someone pulled model numbers out of hat.  Granted, it is useful combination for a lot of photo pursuits.  It could do a decent job at taking outdoor portraits.

But, it is a ten year old camera paired with two full frame lenses.  One lens is fairly new, and I cannot be certain which version of the 50mm is being referenced.  It is the 24-105mm that is out of place.  It is the age of the lens, not the range of focal lengths, especially when paired with a 50mm prime.

BTW, is that a typo, or did you really buy the original version of the 24-105?  

Yeah, I think you're right. I believe the II was the recent one that, last I looked, cost only $100 more than its predecessor (presumably because most didn't think it was much of an improvement). The one I bought was the one that was current in the waning days of the 7D and was being offered as a kit lens for it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

gabe54432
Apprentice
I got them together for next to nothing
Announcements