cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Choices

dmb3073
Apprentice
Hello!
New here to the forum. I'm returning back into the photography world after 10 plus years with almost no portrait experience, besides my own kids and family (only in it for a short time for architect). I've recently purchases an entry level DSLR (Canon Rebel T6) to be sure that this is something I wanted to pursue before spending an abundant amount of money on better equipment. I figured if I sucked at it at least I'll put it to use with my 3 very active kids! I've completed several portrait sessions and sports games using the standard 18-55mm & 75-300mm kit lens just for the practice and to get my name out there. They turned out just fine but with more post editing time than I would have liked though. I researched for several weeks for lenses to step up my game, because let's face it even used "ugly" lenses are an investment and I want to make the best choices financially and not just jump to buy any old lens! I took the numerous recommendations of every photographer needs to have the "nifty fifty" and just purchased the 50mm lens. I used the lens the same day I received it and the images turned out fantastic, some of them absolutely breathtaking!! Very little to some of them not needing any post editing. Funny, it turns out I have an eye for it!!! I've looked to go beyond that with additional lenses that will push me even further but at the same time not sacrificing my mortgage even for a used lens. Looking for recommendations for a "go to" lens. I like the variable zoom ability but I know with that I'll have to sacrifice that wide aperture that is so desired. I've looked at purchasing an 85mm, 18-200mm, 18-125, and/or several others. Ideally I would love the 70-200mm Canon lens but right now at $2000 that isn't practical even finding it used or a third party used. There has been many different reviews and personal preferences for the lenses I've researched trying to decide. Looking for some guidance that will help choose the next lens that will be a step up!! Thanks in advance
27 REPLIES 27

Sorry, it was a used len too. Thanks

OK, I figured it was.  That is even more of a reason to do the test exactly as I outlined it. How long ago was the purchase and is there a guarantee that came with it?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

two weeks ago and a 30 day money back on ebay.

Mr. Biggs

You DA Man! Just got home and followed your instructions and presto! My T5i/ 70-200mm 2.8L IS II USM is taking great pics in TV, AV, P and M modes.  

Thank You so much. 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome dmb.

If you aren't wedded to needing an f/2.8 max aperture the Canon 70-200 f/4L IS lens can be had used for about $700.

A lighter fitment to a Rebel series body.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"You DA Man!"  Smiley Happy

Fantastic now go out and enjoy it.

"the Canon 70-200 f/4L IS lens can be had used for about $700.

A lighter fitment to a Rebel series body."

Not!  Smiley Frustrated  Don't do that. You have the world's best 70-200mm zoom lens. Period, there is no better lens made.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Not!  Smiley Frustrated  Don't do that. You have the world's best 70-200mm zoom lens. Period, there is no better lens made.

Not disputing that. But if you read closely, OP said "Ideally I would love the 70-200mm Canon lens but right now at $2000 that isn't practical even finding it used or a third party used"

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Caon+70-200+f%2f4L+vs+f%2f2.8L&&view=detail&mid=FA4DB525ABC2FA5...

But maybe Matt Granger isn't a serious photographer.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

However, he has the f2.8, "My T5i/ 70-200mm 2.8L IS II USM is taking great pics"

Absoluely no reason to exchange it for the f4, no matter what Matt Grainger says.

EB

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You are confusing postings because the T5i guy jumped on to dmb’s initial posting. Go back to the first posting.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

OK I see that we have two posters now.  Smiley Embarassed  However, my advice still stands as that guy says, "This will have to be on my wish list to save for the next 6+ months".

If you have to save up for the best, do it! I hate to see people 'settle' and later wish they had not.  Usually compromising on a less anything winds up costing you more. Not saving you anything.

I do like Matt Grainger but I hardly ever put much stock in what inner web reviewers say or think. I rarely watch them.  Don't care a bit for Northrup or DXO. I prefer my own experience. I know a lot of you guys do, though.

EB
Announcements