cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens 55-250 Zoom Ring is stuck????

laknee
Contributor

I recently just got another 55-250 lens because the first one I got had a problem with auto focus. I dont remember clearly but I'm pretty sure the zoom ring was moving freely when I first received this new lens. I didnt touch it again for the next two or three days. When I used it yesterday, I zoomed in all the way, smoothly, because I was shooting for my friend's wedding. I tried zooming out, and nothing! I'm in between 200 and 250 and it wont go past 200. I can get it to go down to 100, but only with more force than necessary. In order to move past 200, I've found, is to go into manual focus and start twisting it until the zoom ring is able to move to 100 (with a little force). But then once I get past 200 t0 100, it isn't moving smoothly in that range, and it is also stuck at 100. It wont go down to 55. The only way I've been able to get it to 55 is by using a lot of force and then it feels stuck and then when I try to move it back past 100, it makes this loud click and gets stuck between 200 and 250 again.

PLEASE HELP!!

14 REPLIES 14

Tim
Authority

laknee, 

We're sorry to hear that the issue with the lens persists.  We recommend setting up a service ticket at your earliest convenience.  You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

www.usa.canon.com/repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

"We recommend setting up a service ticket at your earliest convenience"

I would not do this because I have seen used 55-250mm zooms going for $75 to $150 bucks. Under what a repair might cost. You would have the satisfaction knowing it was fixed right, however.

And, as  before your second choice is to return it, today!  You really need to try these lenses before you buy them.  Not just pick one out and buy it. Maybe it time to drop the dime on a brand new lens one especially if you are going to shoot someone's wedding.  They are counting on you for a once in a lifetime moment. Bride's don't really care why you didn't get the photos, only that you didn't.  It is your fault if you didn't, not the lens, BTW.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

IF you can return the lens and you need to buy second-hand, then go for the STM version of the lens.  It has USM Stepping motors that, for manual focusing, are controlled by electronics not a mechanism, thus there should be no danger of having a lens with these issues.

FYI Canon make several consumer lenses with such technology: 18-55 STM, 18-135 STM and a newer USM version, the 55-250 STM, plus there is also a higher-end 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM MkII with this technology.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Ray-uk
Whiz

Very often when a lens acts like this it is because one of the screws in the zoom mechanism has become loose or detached and is jamming on the body, with a lot of lenses these screws are visible if you roll back the rubber covering on the body which will enable you to refix the screw. Do not tighten any screws that are not obviously loose and if you do find a loose one then only tighten it enough to hold it in position otherwise you can misalign the zoom mechanism.

I think Trevor has the right suspicions. LIke its' 18-55mm counterpart, the description of the issues are fully consistent with the lens' focus ring having been turned while the lens switch was in the AF position.  

The AF motors are most likely have become unseated.  If it rattles when you shake, then that is nearly a confirmation of it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements