cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens 55-250 Zoom Ring is stuck????

laknee
Contributor

I recently just got another 55-250 lens because the first one I got had a problem with auto focus. I dont remember clearly but I'm pretty sure the zoom ring was moving freely when I first received this new lens. I didnt touch it again for the next two or three days. When I used it yesterday, I zoomed in all the way, smoothly, because I was shooting for my friend's wedding. I tried zooming out, and nothing! I'm in between 200 and 250 and it wont go past 200. I can get it to go down to 100, but only with more force than necessary. In order to move past 200, I've found, is to go into manual focus and start twisting it until the zoom ring is able to move to 100 (with a little force). But then once I get past 200 t0 100, it isn't moving smoothly in that range, and it is also stuck at 100. It wont go down to 55. The only way I've been able to get it to 55 is by using a lot of force and then it feels stuck and then when I try to move it back past 100, it makes this loud click and gets stuck between 200 and 250 again.

PLEASE HELP!!

14 REPLIES 14

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Which version of the lens do you have this issue with? There are 3 versions.

You say you recently purchased this lens because the last one had an issue with autofocus.  Did you buy this latest lens as a new item or was it purchase second-hand?

Did the lens suffer ANY kind of impact - being banged against something, dropped etc?

What camera are you using the lens with?

@laknee wrote:

I recently just got another 55-250 lens because the first one I got had a problem with auto focus. I dont remember clearly but I'm pretty sure the zoom ring was moving freely when I first received this new lens. I didnt touch it again for the next two or three days. When I used it yesterday, I zoomed in all the way, smoothly, because I was shooting for my friend's wedding. I tried zooming out, and nothing! I'm in between 200 and 250 and it wont go past 200. I can get it to go down to 100, but only with more force than necessary. In order to move past 200, I've found, is to go into manual focus and start twisting it until the zoom ring is able to move to 100 (with a little force). But then once I get past 200 t0 100, it isn't moving smoothly in that range, and it is also stuck at 100. It wont go down to 55. The only way I've been able to get it to 55 is by using a lot of force and then it feels stuck and then when I try to move it back past 100, it makes this loud click and gets stuck between 200 and 250 again.

PLEASE HELP!!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

laknee
Contributor
I did buy it second hand, sorry for that confusion. I can’t recall the lens encountering any kind of impact. I’m using the lens on a Rebel EOS SL1/100D. I think this might be the second version? With the two roman numeral i’s

@laknee wrote:
I did buy it second hand, sorry for that confusion. I can’t recall the lens encountering any kind of impact. I’m using the lens on a Rebel EOS SL1/100D. I think this might be the second version? With the two roman numeral i’s

It appears the lens you have is the  Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS II lens.

Did you use the focusing ring manually to change the focus?

If so did you turn OFF the autofocus switch to do so?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

laknee
Contributor
In order to get the zoom ring to move past 200 to go to 100, I did move the focus ring, and I did have it in manual (I turned off the autofocus to manual focus - AF to MF)

@laknee wrote:
In order to get the zoom ring to move past 200 to go to 100, I did move the focus ring, and I did have it in manual (I turned off the autofocus to manual focus - AF to MF)

OK, so to be VERY clear (and this is critical to help you)... you did not AT ANY TIME, turn the focus ring with the AutoFocus switch turned on?

cheers, TREVOR

laknee
Contributor
I did not turn the focus ring with AF on. I made sure to not do that because I did that with a previous lens

OK.  It looks like the previous owner HAS done that and this version (II) will not behave well if the AF is on and the lens is manually focused.  IF it ever worked properly then something has happened at your end, but if it was not behaving when you first used it then you need to take up this issue with the vendor.

cheers, TREVOR

laknee
Contributor
Do you know how I can do that?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite
Depends on where you got it. If at a store go and see them. If from a website that depends on the site policies.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements