cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just bought T5i looking to get zoom lense

joe007
Contributor

I am a novice with a camera. I just bought a T5i kit that has a zoom lense 55 to 250. I am considering the sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG APO OS HSM. Because it is almsot twice the zoom. I am also thinking of getting a 1.4x canon teleconverter for the canon 55 to 250mm lense instead of the sigma, I know the canon 1.4x will decrease the picture quality but how much is the question. So which lense do I buy? 

I am going to use it for my granson's hockey and football games and I love to take picture of birds in the wild. Any and all thoughts would be apreciated.

Joe

Joe
7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority
The tele converter won't work on the EF-S 55-250 zoom.

For indoor sports like hockey, or for any sport played at night, it is a challenge to get good shots cheap because you have dim light and moving subjects together. You need a wide aperture to let a lot of light in, and that tends to be expensive.

This one, the Canon EF 135mm f/2 would work well for the sports but would be short for birds unless you lure them in close with a feeder : http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-135mm-f-2.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

It gives a very wide aperture, letting like 8 times more light in than your kit zoom can, and it gives razor sharp images. It costs 1/2 of what the 70-200 f/2.8 IS 2 costs, and is twice as bright, though shorter and less versatile. See http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2.8-L-IS-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks for the help.

Joe

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If the question is between a  sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG APO OS HSM or a converter for your existing lens, the Sigma wins hands down. That ain't even a choice.

The Sigma will do nighttime sports. Maybe not the best choice but when bolted up to a high ISO camera like the T5i, it will do it.

I use my Canon 100-400mm quite a bit and it works OK. Again it wouldn't be my first choice but you make do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks ebiggs. I think I am going to go with the sigma.

Joe

Now I am thinking of getting the Sigma 70-200mm 1:2.8 EX DG OS HSM because of the lower lights in the hockey arena. I was thinking of going with a 2x teleconverter for nature shots.

Joe

Now you're talking! Although the Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG APO OS HSM is a nice lens, it is not even in the same class as the Sigma 70-200mm 1:2.8 EX DG OS HSM. This is an outstanding lens. Well worth it's price.  Smiley Happy

It will behave as a 112-320mm on your camera would. Sigma makes a 50-150mm version that more closely acts like a 70-200mm on a FF camera. Also a wonderful lens, BTW.

IMHO, the idea of adding a 2x converter is still not a good one. If you must, try the Sigma 1.4x. It is designed by Sigam to work on Sigma lenses. It works as well as a converter can on the 70-200mm f2.8.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs I am going with the 1.4x converter over the 2x Going to look around some more on prices on the sigma zoom  and will be buying it in the nex 3 weeks.

Joe
Announcements