cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with the EF2.8L 70-200mm USM II lens

lellyk
Apprentice

Hi

I am an amateur however it is a serious hobby and I have been asked to photograph some weddings and decided to invest in this lens.

The results I am getting are shockingly bad.  I understand due to the size of the lens that I must use a reasonably quick shutter speed, however the photos are not sharp.

I have a 70-300 F4 lens which I have been using instead as the results are constantly clear and sharp using the same settings.  The expensive 2.8L gets left at home.  Does anyone know of issues with a particular batch of this lens?  The first one I got fell off my 6D (at a wedding, right at the vows!) and luckily the vendor replaced it, so it makes me wonder what on earth is going on.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Lesley

34 REPLIES 34

"Thanks, for the kick in the rear, Ernie."

My pleasure!  I am sure. Smiley Surprised

OK, I have my 70-20mm on my Mk IV and there is absolutely no play in it at all.  I have noticed some slight play, probably what you are seeing in some lenses.  But not this one.  This is my most favorite lens of all time.  That is no small thing either as I have had many many lenses.  This lens is just superb.  You will notice differing sorts of things that were of no concern with lesser lenses.  Like the filter.  BTW, you need the B+W 77mm UV Haze Slim MRC 010M Filter.  You have to get a filter that is in the same quality range as the lens.

That's why I always tell folks to keep their gear nearly equal. IQ wise and durability among other things.

On a side note and another lens for you to drool, I mean dream about is the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens.  It is the only lens there is that has the chance of becoming, "My most favorite lens forever and ever!"

I hope you enjoy your new best photography friend! Smiley Wink

Wher do you live that is so darn cold?  It is 18 here (Kansas) and I think that is too darn cold to go outside.  Smiley Sad

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I live in New York.  We are in the midst of one of those polar vortexes from the artic.  Wind speeds are 20-40 mph until Monday.   I am holed up until the polar vortex moves out by Monday.

I just added that lens model number to my B&H wish list, so that I don't forget it or lose it.  Smiley Happy

[EDIT]  I use Sensei Filter Stack Caps to store filters.  Check them out. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ScottyP
Authority

I have mounted my 70-200 2.8 IS mk2 on crop bodies and on my 6D. I'm not discounting anyone's experiences, but mine fits perfectly tight.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

I have mounted my 70-200 2.8 IS mk2 on crop bodies and on my 6D. I'm not discounting anyone's experiences, but mine fits perfectly tight.  

Same here. I've used mine on my 5D3, at least one of my 7D's, and probably my 50D. All have fit perfectly. (One of my 7D's was a little tight when it was new, but that affected all lenses.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I don't know this for a fact but it is a fact any thing that is manufactured has tolerances.  It is possible to have a max tolerance camera and a min tolerance lens.  That would look like it was too loose. Conversely it would appear too tight.

It is a common issue with target rifles.  It can be server enough that a cartridge will not even chamber.  Although you don't see it everyday, it isn't a huge surprise if it does.

It doesn't matter if we are talking automobiles, televisions, lawn mowers, or cameras.  It is there!  Why does somebody get that perfect whatever?  This is why.  Most consumer goods fall into the center zone and there is no notice.  Why does somebody get that lemon?  Now you know!

Being involved in tool and die in the graphics arts division for 40 years, I can tell you this is a big concern to manufacturers.  Even if you buy a 1/4" drill bit from Ace is the Place, it has a tolerance.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements