cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues With Lens Flare

saadhameed
Contributor

Hi. So I'm having issues with getting some pretty bad lens flare. Really strange issue

Shooting Canon 5D Mk. III w/ a Canon 24-70mm L series lens. I have a lens hood that came with the lens attached. When I shoot in landscape orientation, no issues. Yet when I sometimes shoot in portrait orientation, somehow the sun is hitting the lens giving me a bad flare. And this is at the 70mm end of the lens. No sun is in the shot, but somehow still getting crazy lens flare. And this isn't just one location but multiple locations throughout the day. Only when in complete overhead shade is there no flare. 

I attached some examples. 

I'm thinking, somehow, since the lens hood doesn't cover much when you shoot portrait orientation, that the sun is somehow shining from above and hitting the very bottom of the lens at an angle, causing this crazy flare. I can sometimes use my hand to block the flare as best I could, but obviously that's not an ideal solution. 

Anyways, any ideas of what might be wrong. Is there something maybe wrong with the lens itself that is causing strange internal flare issues? Is the lens hood itself causing the flare somehow? Love to hear your theories and thoughts.

400A3540.jpg

400A3551.jpg

400A3556.jpg

14 REPLIES 14

@Tomobil wrote:
Did you end up finding out what the issue was? My 5DMk3 is having the same problem.

"Yeah the lens is dirty, forgot to clean it. Was in a bit of a rush. I usually clean my lens with a lens cloth/shammy and maybe a camel hair brush for dust. Don't think it has anything to do with the coating being stripped, more think it's an internal optics thing."

Sounds to me like Ernie may have called it correctly in this case.  Dirt.  Your issue could be very different, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Usually dirt or dust or even smudges on the front of the lens will not effect it.  But there is a limit.  Excessive dirt can cause lens flare and other undesirable effects.  That looks excessive to me.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Usually dirt or dust or even smudges on the front of the lens will not effect it.  But there is a limit.  Excessive dirt can cause lens flare and other undesirable effects.  That looks excessive to me.

I think it depends on the nature of the smudge. In particular, whether it's of a transparent substance with a high refractive index.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I think it depends on the nature of the smudge. In particular, whether it's of a transparent substance with a high refractive index." 

I hope you don't mean like a low-pass filter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

"I think it depends on the nature of the smudge. In particular, whether it's of a transparent substance with a high refractive index.

I hope you don't mean like a low-pass filter.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of a Lensbaby.  Smiley LOL

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements