cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any chance this Canon 300mm F4 L is NOT really an L lens?

shaolin95
Apprentice

I mean, aside from that odd canon branding decal on the barrel, someone pointed out that the L is NOT red as it is on every single L lens I have seen but white.

The person selling it told me he bought it from a Japan seller before.

What do you guys think?

93185.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

It's evidently an old film-camera lens. Maybe the "L" wasn't red in those days.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have not seen a single FD L lens where the L was not red which is why I got worried.

It looks legit to me.  I have that lens and can say it is one of the greats.  A very good lens.  I don't remember if the L is red ot white but I can dig it out and check if you like. You know it is a FD lens and not suitable for DSLR use?  As good as it is, it isn't worth trying to adapt it.  The current EF 300mm f4L is fantastic and a real buy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Its for my Sony A7ii...I shoot almost only with FD glass. But yeah, I kept looking all night and couldnt find a single FD lens with a white L. All of them were red L.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@shaolin95 wrote:

I mean, aside from that odd canon branding decal on the barrel, someone pointed out that the L is NOT red as it is on every single L lens I have seen but white.

The person selling it told me he bought it from a Japan seller before.

What do you guys think?

93185.jpg

From the Canon Museum

New FD300mm f/4

nfd_300_4.jpg

New FD300mm f/4L

nfd_300_4l.jpg

With the big red square with Canon in it, I'm guessing that was some sort of display lens, either for a store or trade shows. 

Announcements