cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a teleconverter available that will mount to a Canon EF S lens?

Birdog638
Apprentice
I have a new Rebel T5i with EF S lenses but I Alamo have a Kenko 2X teleconverter. As I understand the Kenko will not mount to the EF S lens. Are there teleconverters available that will mount to EF S lenses?
19 REPLIES 19

All photos taken the day after I modified the Canon EF-S 55mm - 250mm with Kenko x 2 TC, Just test shots, The Upright Bass was taken at FL 110 wide open with exposure of 1 second in very low light conditions, The outdoor photos were taken at 500mm or 2 x 250mm at 1/25th wide open hand held on a very overcast dull day, The Vase was 1/25th with low energy lamp to the right, Not my best work but was just making sure everything was working ok, Its obviously not as bright as my L series with a F2.8 aperture but ok for a budget solution, thanks, Pete

cello.jpgcar 2.JPGwood tree.jpg

vase.jpg

These have been reduced in qaulity 3 times too so lost a bit of clarity

Here is the modded lens on the Kenko 2 x converter, EF-S 55 - 250 STM IS on a Kenko EF 2 X Converter

canon efs.jpg

This is the EF-S without the Kenko TC, obviously faster and more clarity

lone birdy.JPG

some more photos around 1/25th the specs shot at 1/20th

Canon EF S 55 - 250 with Kenko 2 X Converter

car 2.JPGspecs.JPGgreen tree 2.jpg

Thank you.

I guees it is, all in what you want and expect from your equipment.  I might suggest (the bird) you lay off the sliders in LR just a bit.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

the bird was taken before light room installation, and has had basic balancing with the Canon software and it was more or less like this off the lens, anyway i am only trying to be helpful and we all know a 2 x TC and a cheap canon STM lens will never be as good as a Fast Prime or Top end zoom but for a few hyndred dollars (or Pounds) it does a job better than some more expensive low end lenses, I was only answerie question which I have answere yes you can use an EFS on a EF TC if you are prepared to void your warranty and possibly risk damaging it, It worked for me and the lens is light even with TC attached, it will never compare to an L lens , most things dont but its a good carry everywhere soluion, I will use it until I can afford the Canon 800mm F5.6 fore price of a new vehicle, Pete

Pete,

I appreciate your reporting back as to what can be done.  Each has to decide the best course for them and not worry about what others say or think.  Kudos to you.  I would have never thought to do what you did.

I might add, while on the bird subject, I think the converter imporved the lens if you didn't adjust the photo in LR.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

riffman2015
Contributor
It was before I purchased the TC, it's a reasonable lens for price, a good travel lens but too fragile for any pro use
Announcements