cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the original 24-105 L f4 a poor performer when it comes to focusing-especially in low light...

secondlevel
Enthusiast

I bought a refurbished 24-105 L from the Canon website about a year ago.  I consider it my worst performer when it comes to focusing.  I sent it back to Canon and they checked it out and said that it performed as it should.  When I first tested it I noticed that my kit lens for my 60D was faster at autofocusing!.  There are situations where it can't focus in low light and I thought it was just the older focus system in my 60D.  However, when I use it on my 77D (which has the same autofocus as the 80D) it does focus better in low light but has a higher miss rate.  For example, if I use my other lens and take 10 shots all ten will be in focus and sharp.  With the 24-105 L it will be seven out of 10.  At times it will beep that the image is in focus and I will take the shot.  On the little LCD it looks fine but when I get home and view it on my computer screen it is out of focus.

I recently purchase a new 6D.  I thought the lens would perform better on a full frame because it was designed for on.  It still has the same miss rate.  I can use another Canon lens or even one of my third party lens and they will focus faster and more accurately.  I am getting frustated.  Does the new version perform better?  Is this normal or did I get a semi- lemon?

The reason I described it as a semi-lemon is because the seven shots that it gets out of ten will be nice.  Beautiful colors, sharp images, etc.  When it gets a shot it is great.

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

These are good questions.  Both Canon and many blogs and reviews claim that although the 2nd gen 24-105L is lighter, many still perfer the first gen's overall performance in edge to edge photo comparison.  For sharpness, color, detail and speed of focus.  

I've heard that the 2nd gen excels in video performance over the v1, but have also read that its IS is a little more noisy.  Conversely, the 2nd gen is said to do better with CA due to newer coatings.

Sometimes making corrections on the camera can greatly improve lens performance.  It might not improve the speed at which the lens focuses, but does the resulting image.  I am not the right person to instruct you on this, as I've just started learning more about this option myself.

I own about 12 lenses. Thusfar, the copies I've received have been pleasing.  Now that I have moved to FF, I am being more particular about the quality I'm purchasing.  I'll probably stick with 5 lenses and replace the 70-300 with a 70-200 f2.8 II and call it a day.  

I do know its possible to get bad copies and/or ones that require calibration settings in camera to achieve consistent results.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I had two of them and used them in business for years.  I never really noticed any poorer performance than any other f4 lens.

It is the f4 focal ratio that really determines how much low light the lens can handle.  Yeah I am sure more modern AF components make a difference too. But f4 is f4 in any lens.

Any newer more curent camera/lens combo is hopefully going to AF better and quicker.  Make sense?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Many blogs and reviews claim that although the 2nd gen 24-105L is lighter, many still perfer the first gen's overall performance in edge to edge photo comparison. For sharpness, color, detail and speed of focus.

I've read that the 2nd gen excels in video performance over the v1, have also read that its IS is a little more noisy. Conversely, the 2nd gen is said to do better with CA due to newer coatings.

Sometimes making corrections on the camera can greatly improve lens performance. It might not improve the speed at which the lens focuses, but does the resulting image. I am not the right person to instruct you on this, as I've just started learning more about this option myself.

I own about 12 lenses. Thusfar, the copies I've received have been pleasing. Now that I have moved to FF, I am being more particular about the quality.  I do know its possible to get bad copies and/or ones that require calibration settings in camera to achieve consistent results.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

diverhank
Authority

I concur with ebiggs...it's no worse for any f/4 lenses.  When I still had it, it never missed focus for me in any light conditions, even for action shots...maybe you have a lemon.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

I concur with ebiggs...it's no worse for any f/4 lenses.  When I still had it, it never missed focus for me in any light conditions, even for action shots...maybe you have a lemon.

It s a very good model.  One explanation for your issue would be a cheap lens filter.  Aside from that, I would advise going to a local camera shop.  Or, finding a photo club, and asking them to take a look at your gear.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I just made a new topic in regards to a similar issue...
http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/T7i-Focusing-Issues/m-p/230554#M20541

Either the camera or the lens keeps missing focus. The camera will focus, I take the shot. Upon reviewing, you can see (focus peaking) where the camera focused, but that spot is out of focus. I dont know if its the camera or the lens at this point.
Announcements