cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the canon 24-70 mm 2.8l ii a worthwhile investment for the 70d?

Ma49ers1
Apprentice
70d
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The high-end version of a standard zoom with low focal ratio for the 70D is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8.  That's basically the same focal length range as the typical kit lens (18-55) but it can provide an f/2.8 focal ratio at any focal length rather than varying the focal ratio as the kit lenses tend to do.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

@TCampbell wrote:

The high-end version of a standard zoom with low focal ratio for the 70D is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8.  That's basically the same focal length range as the typical kit lens (18-55) but it can provide an f/2.8 focal ratio at any focal length rather than varying the focal ratio as the kit lenses tend to do.

My wife (T2i) and I (7D) each have one. We're very happy with them. The lens's only real drawback is that it's a lot bigger and heavier than you might expect. But so is the 24-70 II.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Probably not. 24-70 isn't even the right zoom range for a walker on a crop camera. Buy the 17-55 f/2.8 instead, and save yourself about $1300.

If you were a wedding photographer with a 5D3, maybe. On a 1DX, sure.

Bob

You haven't said what you shoot nor whether it's for fun or profit so "investment" is sort of a clouded description in your question. If you buy new there's depreciation if it doesn't fit your needs & you decide to sell later. If you buy used (limited availability in most areas) you can recover most of the purchase price after considerable use. If you shoot as a pro (declaring the income) then it may very well fit some needs & the annual write off may be worth the plunge. It's more a "does it help me do better work" vs "maybe it will make me look more professional" thing"

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Just a hobby. Mainly shots of my kids, wildlife, vacations etc. some portraits. Still an amateur. Looking for an all purpose lens that also performs well in low light but wider than my 50mm 1.4. Read great things about the 24-70mm 2.8l ii but most photos I've seen using it have been with the 5d mark iii.

Is it the shallow DOF you want or the extra stop of light vs the 24-105? With the high ISO capability the newer bodies offer it's the deciding factor. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Both are handy for dance recitals and concerts. Need fast performance in low light

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The twins, the 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 are arguably the best zoom lenses made.  Bar none.

If you need and want the best there is, there is no other choice.  However, do you?  Most people don't.

The thought about the focal length on the crop body is nonsense if it fits your needs.  That statement can be largely ignored.

If possibile try one first as they are very expensive.  But the best usually is!

This pair is what I use 90% of the time on a 1 series "crop" body.  After having these, I would not be happy to have anything less.

I am off today to shoot the JOCO Fair Parade with my 1D Mk IV and both of these lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

My wife (T2i) and I (7D) each have one. We're very happy with them. The lens's only real drawback is that it's a lot bigger and heavier than you might expect. But so is the 24-70 II.

Bob

Such is the nature of f/2.8 zooms. In order to lower the focal ratio but maintain the same focal length the physical diameter of the lens has to be increased. Then all the glass elements inside get a larger physical diameter, which also makes them thicker. That may result on stronger dispersion requiring even more corrective elements in the lens. By the time all that happens the lens weights noticeably more.

My solution is to use a more comfortable camera strap. I use a sling type strap (Black Rapid) rather than a traditional neck strap.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements