cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Canon ef-s 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM wide angle lens good for night photography?

FutureSailor
Apprentice

I recently bought a Canon ef-s 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM wide angle lens, and I absolutely love it. However, I am beginning to learn how to take good photos at night, and am wondering how good the lens is at taking night photos.

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Any lens with an f-ratio of f5.6, or so, is considered a "slow" lens.   That just means you will probably need a tripod and a fairly long exposure.  Otherwise the Canon ef-s 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM will do just fine.  Matter of fact, it is probably a very good choice.

Of course it all depends on the available light and without knowing that, no one can tell you exact settings.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What camera do you have? How high are you willing to push the ISO?

I think you are the best judge. Are you pleased with the photos you are taking? What is wrong with them?

Are you trying to shoot action or landscapes?

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@FutureSailor wrote:

I recently bought a Canon ef-s 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM wide angle lens, and I absolutely love it. However, I am beginning to learn how to take good photos at night, and am wondering how good the lens is at taking night photos.

There are many kinds of night photos. Some taken with long shutter speeds and low ISOs. Other's taken with faster shutter speeds, wider apertures and higher ISOs. So it depends on what kind of night photos you are talking. As long as you have a slow enough shutter speed, it is a fine night photo lens. You might need a tripod to get slow enough of a shutter speed. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements