cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is on or off

RJ
Apprentice

I have just purchased a Canon 24-105 f4 L lens. When I use this lens on a tripod do I need to turn the Image Stabilization off?

7 REPLIES 7

7D5D
Rising Star
Yes turn off, it has no benefit when the lens is stable.

Also turn it off when panning. It's a great lens but the IS system used isn't usable for panning (based on my personal results).

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

There is no need to turn off the IS on that lens.  That version of the IS has a tripod-sensing feature.

Also, on that lens, the IS is either on or off and has no panning mode selection.

ratan
Enthusiast

Why bother to turn off IS? You'll just forget to turn it back on later!

I like DSLRs and a Gear Whore.

Canon:
Canon EOS 1Dx, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS II, EF 200mm f/2.0L IS USM

Nikon:
Nikon D4, Nikon D800, Carl Zeiss Compact Prime CP.2 Super Speed 50mm T/1.5, Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II

@ratan wrote:

Why bother to turn off IS? You'll just forget to turn it back on later!

...wear and tear and to conserve battery.  No doubt two schools of thought, I prefer to turn it off.

Then you might as well turn off AF and use M since AF consumes more battery. haha just joking~~
I like DSLRs and a Gear Whore.

Canon:
Canon EOS 1Dx, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS II, EF 200mm f/2.0L IS USM

Nikon:
Nikon D4, Nikon D800, Carl Zeiss Compact Prime CP.2 Super Speed 50mm T/1.5, Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II

Years ago I did some testing to see just how much power IS actually comsumes. The number was rather low once it's working but when it's initiated there was a small spike to the reading but that was only for a fraction of a second.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements