cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my 18-55mm lens AF shot?

DanTheMan827
Apprentice

The 18-55mm lens that came with my t2i has started to incorrectly focus.

In live view, it tends to focus out just a little and then back in and says it's in focus, outside of live view, it will focus in on something properly, but not out.

I've tried taking off the lens, switching to MF, focusing out all the way and in all the way to no avail... I didn't hear any kind of clicks or pops and the motor still can rotate the focus.

2 REPLIES 2

Tim
Authority

Dantheman827, 

There are a few troubleshooting steps I'd like to help resolve this issue.

- Once the lens is off let's check it using the steps below.

a) Clean the lens contacts* to restore connection with the body.

*Warning - Do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser! It's easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts and end up with data communication problems! Our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean, micro fiber cloth. Please do not use anything abrasive.

b) Try using a different Canon EF series lens. It doesn't have to be the same focal length as the one you were using.

c) If you are using a third party lens, we recommend discontinuing its use. There can sometimes be communication error related issues with third-party lenses. Ensuring that you're using a Canon lens eliminates that as a potential factor in the error.

If the issues seem to persist the next step would be to send the equipment to Canon for service.  You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The 18-55mm lens that came with my t2i ..."

I doubt the T2i is still a serviceable product.  If Canon still does service it, it isn't likely to be cost effective as a T2i isn't worth very much money. Meaning you can buy a working replacement for less than repair.

Cleaning the contacts is also not likely to help.  The fact it is free and easy is the only reason to try it.  But be very careful you don't damage the contacts.  You need another camera and lens.  Test one on the other. This will tell you where the problem lies.

However, a factory default reset of the T2i is the very first thing to do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements