cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is canon EF 24-85mm F3.5-4.5 lens is compatible with canon eos 6D ?

Arefmajeed
Contributor

Is canon EF 24-85mm F3.5-4.5 lens is compatible with canon eos 6D ? is it work fully automatic ?

7 REPLIES 7

pjmacd
Enthusiast
Yes, that lens will work normally on the EOS 6D with all automatic functions intact. Any Canon lens labeled as "EF" will work on the 6D, but lenses labeled "EF-S" will have strong vignetting (darkening in the corners of the shot).

@pjmacd wrote:
Yes, that lens will work normally on the EOS 6D with all automatic functions intact. Any Canon lens labeled as "EF" will work on the 6D, but lenses labeled "EF-S" will have strong vignetting (darkening in the corners of the shot).

Actually... "EF-S" lenses will not even mount.  There's a lip on full-frame bodies designed to prevent EF-S lenses from being attached.  It's not just a question of heavy vignetting and severely degraded image quality at the edges of the frame -- there's a risk of the reflex mirror hitting the rear-most element on an EF-S lens (remember... full frame cameras require physically larger reflex mirrors).  

Any "EF" lens can be used.  Any "EF-S" lens must not be used (and will not fit).  Also, there are a few special purpose lenses such as the MP-E and TS-E lenses which will work with the 6D as well.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Tim is quite right. My mistake, sorry for the confusion.

Thanks Tim now I know the difference between "EF_S" and "EF"
Regards

Thanks Pjmacd now I understand Any Canon lens labeled as "EF" will work on the 6D

regards 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is canon EF 24-85mm F3.5-4.5 lens is compatible with canon eos 6D "

A better question might be, why?  It isn't a great lens and if I remember correctly was introduced for film cameras. It is probably in line with some of the "kit" lenses of today.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks ebiggs1 for the valuable information
Regards
Announcements