cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Canon dropping the distance gauge

skibumdon
Contributor

Is Canon dropping the distance gauge on some of their newer lenses?  I am looking at an EOS 90D kit with the following lens: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens but I do not see a gauge. I use the gauge for night photography to get the starts in focus.

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
The lower pricepoint lenses don’t have the distance scale.

Using the scale on lenses that have it is not a reliable tool for star photography.

What I recommend is finding a distant object, let the camera focus on it with AF using single center point abd then switch to MF and use gaffer tape to hold focus ring in place.

Alternatively you could use Live View in MF mode and tape lens when the stars are sharpest on the LCD. Use the magnifier.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

To amplify what JR Hoffman said, most canon lenses have a "bar" , not a line for infinity focus, even if it has a scale.

That said, I believe the R's can show the distance in the EVF.

Let me clarify as I was not clear, what I have been doing is taking incremental focus settings and then with my phone taking a picture of where I am on the gauge and putting that in my documentation when I determine on looking at the RAW pictures which was best. Also recording temperature. 

So why is Canon dropping the gauge?

@skibumdon wrote:

Let me clarify as I was not clear, what I have been doing is taking incremental focus settings and then with my phone taking a picture of where I am on the gauge and putting that in my documentation when I determine on looking at the RAW pictures which was best. Also recording temperature. 

So why is Canon dropping the gauge?

I don't work for Canon, but my guess is cost. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"I don't work for Canon, but my guess is cost."

I don't work for Canon either, but my guess the majority of people don't see it as a value added feature. Me for instance.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

This is nothing new. Canon stopped putting focus distance scales on their kit lenses and lower end lenses many years ago. Higher end EF-S and EF lenses still continue to have the focus distance scale. 

The new RF lenses do not have the focus distance scales but the Mirrorless cameras can display the focus distance

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

This is nothing new. Canon stopped putting focus distance scales on their kit lenses and lower end lenses many years ago. Higher end EF-S and EF lenses still continue to have the focus distance scale. 

The new RF lenses do not have the focus distance scales but the Mirrorless cameras can display the focus distance

Good point! It's true the cameras can display that distance. The nice thing is in theory they can program that in to each lens. No more need to carefully do physical alignment. Just point it at something 10ft away and set an electronic marker. Of course the lens still has to be able to measure the distance the elements have moved internally, not sure how accurate that is or if it exists. 

Those scales were never accurate on AF lenses anyway. Part of the reason high end cinema lenses cost $$$$$ is because of how accurately aligned they are to their manual focus scales. On the other hand a Canon lens can be had for $199. Do you really think someone sat there and aligned it perfectly for that price point?? Your best bet for a new lens with this feature is to go with a Zeiss Otus or a cinema lens from a reputable brand. I've read that brands like Rokinon are not accurate. 

Announcements