cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inherited Camera + Lenses

meganacuna
Contributor
Hi everybody! I inherited a Canon 5D Mark II from my late uncle and was wondering if anybody could tell me about the lenses he had. There’s a 24-105 f/4, a 50mm f/1.4, and an 85 f/1.8, but they’re all from 2009-2010. Are they still worth using? I don’t know what updates are made to lenses/ how often new versions are released.
(My current lenses on my 80D are pretty terrible (50mm f/1.8 and the stock 18-55 from my old T3i) so I’m hoping these are an upgrade! I know the camera is pretty old but I also know it’s full frame vs. my 80D being crop sensor.
Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

All 3 are very decent lenses & better than what you already have but the kit lens will zoom wider but won't work on the full frame body. The 24-105 gives a similar enough field of view at the wide end you won't see any difference.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@meganacuna wrote:
Hi everybody! I inherited a Canon 5D Mark II from my late uncle and was wondering if anybody could tell me about the lenses he had. There’s a 24-105 f/4, a 50mm f/1.4, and an 85 f/1.8, but they’re all from 2009-2010. Are they still worth using? I don’t know what updates are made to lenses/ how often new versions are released.
(My current lenses on my 80D are pretty terrible (50mm f/1.8 and the stock 18-55 from my old T3i) so I’m hoping these are an upgrade! I know the camera is pretty old but I also know it’s full frame vs. my 80D being crop sensor.
Thanks!

The interesting thing about your situation is that your 80D is arguably a better camera than the 5D2 (which is not at all a bad camera, just a bit out-of-date). But the 5D2's lenses will work fine on your 80D, as long as you understand that their effect will be longer (i.e., more in the telephoto range) than it is on the 5D2.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Great score!  They are all better. Way better.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements