cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information with Serial number L lens

Cunha
Rising Star

Hello,

I´m about to purchase a used Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens.

I personally don´t know the seller.

The unit is in good shape but has no original box or documentation. Just the lens.

I´ve the serial number.

What kind of adittional info can I obtain and where (online?) about this unit thru the serial number?

Thank you very much for any help.

Kind regards.

5 REPLIES 5

diverhank
Authority

With the serial number you can find out the date of the manufacture of the lens and that's about it.  There should be also a code stamped on the end of the lens (the side mating with the camera) that will tell you the date of manufacturing and the factory that makes it.  You can google this info on the internet.   There is also databases available via google search that will tell you whether a lens is stolen by entering in the s/n.  

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thank you very much for your help.

I now have the serail number and the alphanumerical code. I searched and found place and date of manufacturing.

This databases available via google search that will me whether a lens is stolen by entering in the s/n I cannot foind ,-(

Further help on this will be very appreciated.

Thanks again.

Any further help, please?
Thanks a lot.

Hi Cunha!
Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry! We appreciate your participation, however we need to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market. If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your support needs. Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Canon USA always recommends purchasing from Authorized Dealers to avoid the off-chance of purchasing a stolen lens due to the complex nature of maintaining a database of stolen products. Once a product is stolen, it's very difficult to report a serial number unless it's been registered, and sadly everyone doesn't register their gear.

Hi Stephen,

I guess this a tricky subject. 

Yes I´m in Europe but didn´t found any good info about this issue. But  I´ve also Canon gear bought new in the USA.

Thanks anyway for all the help and attention.

Announcements