cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inexpensive wide(er) angle lens?

Cheech
Apprentice

I fish and we take a lot of in-the-boat fishing pics before we toss them back in. Is there a good prime lens for this? That's not a ton of dough? I want to make it simple for the photographer. If taking the DSLR isnt practical I will just stick with my point-and-shoot for fishing. 

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What camera nd lens do you currently have?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I will just stick with my point-and-shoot for fishing."

Well now there are point and shoots and then there are point and shoot cameras.  If you had, or buy, the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II Digital Camera, you could get all the shots you desire with the convenience of a small, put it in your pocket, P&S.  It comes with a 24 to 120mm f2 lens so you don't have to worry about lenses or switching them out.  Plus it has the 1 1/2" sensor so the photos will be great and can be enlarged to 8x10 with no problem.  It is fully automatic or fully manual, your choice. Plus a ton of swttings in between.  And just to top it off, it has full 1080p video sipport.

Give one a test drive.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Assuming you do not have a full-frame body (you don't own a 5D, 6D, or 1D series camera) then you can use the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM lens which retails for about $299.

That's an ultra-wide zoom and at a fairly low price.

Since it's an "EF-S" lens it will only work with Canon DSLR cameras that have an APS-C size "crop-frame" sensor.  This includes every Canon "Rebel" DLSR ever made as well as all mid-range Canon DSLRs (from the 20D through the 70D) and also includes the 7D and 7D II.

It will not work on Canon DSLRs with larger sensors such as any 1D series body, any 5D series body, or the 6D.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Assuming you do not have a full-frame body (you don't own a 5D, 6D, or 1D series camera) then you can use the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM lens which retails for about $299.

I think you hit the nail on the head my friend. I have Rebel 1200d. That sounds like the lens I need. 

Announcements