cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In need of a everyday lens / standard lens for Canon 7D

camera_girlll
Apprentice
Hi, bit of a novice and I knw nothing about the best lenses to get. I'm after a good everyday, standard zoom lens, but high quality and affordable for my Canon 7D. I currently use the canon zoom lens EF 75 - 300mm 1:4-5.6 Mark 3, and it's just too zoomed. So I'm after something less zoomed but high quality.
Any and all help would be appreciated !!! ☺☺
5 REPLIES 5

The 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. Moderate wide-angle to moderate telephoto. Fast enough for indoor use. Doesn't overlap the functionality of your current lens.

One caution: It's a big lens and will cast a shadow in the coverage field of the 7D's built-in flash. So if you get that lens, plan on buying an external flash sooner rather than later.

BTW, I see now that you're the same person who posted the same query a couple of days ago regarding a 6D. If that was a typo, my advice above stands. If your camera is actually a 6D, I concur with John Hoffman's advice in the other thread. And if you have both cameras, note that the lens I recommended for your 7D won't fit your 6D.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Me?  I don't mind some overlap when it comes to lenses.  Especially when it comes to zoom lenses. 

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens is a good budget minded choice, and would still be usable if you upgraded to a full frame camera one day.  Although my recommendation for a cropped sensor is the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

camera_girlll
Apprentice
They're family cameras, been sharing the one lens between the two cameras, both need standard lens.
Thanks a lot for the advice

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First let us be clear:

ef-s 17-55mm f2.8 is usm for the 7D is a great choice.  It will not work on the 6D.

ef 24-405mm f4L for the 6D.  It will work on either camera but may be a little less friendly for the 7D,

The ef 28-135mm is not an "L" lens but is probably the best buy in any Canon lens for what you get.  It will work for either camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

camera_girlll
Apprentice
Thanks a lot everyone, been a great help ☺
Announcements