cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Stabilizer Issue on 17mm - 55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens

jktpts
Apprentice

Recently my lens has made a loud whirring sound when the shutter is depressed.  The noise is combined with a very blurry, shakey view through the viewfinder.   It continues even when the shutter button is let up.  Turning off the Image Stabilizer on the lens stops the problem.  It happens frequently but not every time.  Is my lens going bad?

Thanks,

Jerry

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Do you have another lens to try with the camera?  The IS should be almost inaudible. 

What camera body are you using?  If the camera/lens is mounted on a tripod, then the IS should probably be turned off.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My body is the 30D.  I do not have another lens to try.  When looking through the viewfinder, the image blurs - shakes at the same frequency of the sound it is making.  This lens has always been very quiet for me.  I am hand holding the camera under low light conditions.  The battery is fully charged.

Thanks,

Jerry

At the very least the IS is going bad. I think you will have to send it in for repair. Or whack it a couple of times to see if it is something loose. (NOTE: The previous statement is not official Canon Advice!)

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Do you have another lens to try with the camera?"

This won't help.  It isn't the camera that's at fault.  It might help, unlikely, to have another camera to try your lens on, though. But I really think you need Canon Service as the IS is going out or has already gone out on your lens. Or you can just turn the IS off and continue to use your lens the same way we did in the olden days. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I figured it was just a lens issue.  I can't spare the time it would take to get the lens serviced.  It's just a bummer to lose the stabilizer feature!

Jerry

Announcements