cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Stabilization On/OFF when hiking ?

tmc784
Enthusiast

Hi all,

When resting my DSLR attached with IS lens in the backpack / toploader for hiking, should I need to turn OFF lens IS or keep it ON ?

Thank you for your response.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@tmc784 wrote:

Hi all,

When resting my DSLR attached with IS lens in the backpack / toploader for hiking, should I need to turn OFF lens IS or keep it ON ?

I typicallly turn off power when I store my camera in a bag.  But, your camera should go to sleep when you place it in a bag, and so does the IS.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I almost never turn camera or IS off. The one time I do turn the camera off is when I remove or insert the battery or CF card.

I almost never to never turn IS off on a lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@tmc784 wrote:

Hi all,

I typicallly turn off power when I store my camera in a bag.  But, your camera should go to sleep when you place it in a bag, and so does the IS.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I almost never turn camera or IS off. The one time I do turn the camera off is when I remove or insert the battery or CF card.

I almost never to never turn IS off on a lens.

EB

tmc784
Enthusiast

Thank you for all your best comments.

Cheers.

Leaving IS on is fine but if your camera is in a backpack, UNLESS it AND every other object are secure I would turn the camera off in case something decides to come to rest against the shutter release.  Otherwise you may arrive at your next photo op with a full memory card and a dead battery.

IS does increase power consumption as does Servo AF so keep that in mind when planning battery use on a longer hike.  Live view, frequent reviewing of images, and high LCD brightness are other battery killers.

When in "sleep" mode, power consumption is very low and typically I leave my camera on when at an event.

I have hiked a lot with my various Canon SLR and DSLR bodies.  This is one case where some sort of filter or other protector on the front of the lens is a very good idea.  Some Canon lenses that are otherwise weather sealed need this to be fully weather sealed and I would much rather scratch a relatively inexpensive and easily replaceable filter than the front lens element.  I am less worried about doing a quick wipe of the lens if the worst thing I have to worry about is the front filter and hiking definitely exposes the lens to moisture and debris.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"IS does increase power consumption as does Servo AF so keep that in mind when planning battery use on a longer hike."

In the 50 some years I have used cameras, daily, I have never run out of battery.

"This is one case where some sort of filter or other protector on the front of the lens is a very good idea."

Absolutely to the point of being mandatory.

EB
Announcements