cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to know when the first Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM show up?

HaimZiv
Apprentice

7 REPLIES 7

Skirball
Authority

As in, when was it first manufacturered?  2002.

Thank you very much.Smiley Happy

There was a forerunner to that lens which is almost identical.  It is the 28-70mm f2.8 L USM.  It, too, is a very good lens and thedebate continues as to which one was/is better.   Some say it is finest lens in this catagory ever made.  I agree, mine is supurb.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Oh, BTW, it was released in the mid '90s.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

There was a forerunner to that lens which is almost identical.  It is the 28-70mm f2.8 L USM.  It, too, is a very good lens and thedebate continues as to which one was/is better.   Some say it is finest lens in this catagory ever made.  I agree, mine is supurb.

Your high regard for your 24-70 is well known to us all, but I always thought you were referring to the "Mark II" version. Surely the OP's question was about the original Mark I. I had always understood that the Mark I, while optically admirable and half the price of the Mark II, was large, heavy, and clumsy to use, its enormous sun shade being a particular item of ridicule. The Mark II, OTOH, has been very well received in every respect but its price (which, as it happens, has recently been reduced). Can you clarify this point?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Your high regard for your 24-70 is well known to us all, but I always thought you were referring to the "Mark II" version.

No, he almost always refers to the Mark I 24-70; he's stated many times he doesn't think there's a noticeable difference between the two.  Which is a fine stance on the issue, but it conflicts with his stance on so many other things where he insists and having the latest and greatest version.  He likes what he likes, you can't doubt that.

Bob from Boston,

I do indeed have the first version of the 24-70mm f2.8.  The second version came out after I officially retired.  I still buy some lens, too many according to Miss Elizabeth but I am pretty picky.  Whoa?  I guess I have always been picky. I would never use anything except Canon equipment when I was "working".  I was not going to risk my reputation and reliability with 2nd class lenses especially.

Since than I have bought several Sigma's and a couple Tamron's.   I admit freely that are pretty darn good.  They are stll not comparable to "L" but good non-the-less.  I probably have some 50 lenses in the old darkroom.  I don't even really know how many?  Now-a-days it is just fun and an interesting hobby for me.  You get to do the stuff you don't have time for when working.

I have friends that are still in the business so I have used the new version.  It is simply fantastic.  Is it a grand better than mine?  Not to me at this time in my life.  The 1st version is still going strong and takes wonderful pictures.  The old boy 28-70mm is still very, very good, also.  It is a buy if you can find a decent shape used one.

Right now the holy grail in Canon lense, no in lenses period bar none, are the EF 24-70mm f2.8 II and the 70-200mm f2.8 II.

(which I did break down and buy one)  There are simple not a better combo made on the planet, price to match.Smiley Frustrated

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements