cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need advice for a new lens I want to buy.!!

NOAhgomes
Apprentice

I bought a Canon T4i a few months ago and I'm new in photography. I'm thinking of buying a new 70-300 aps-c lens that I want to use for nature or wilde life photography. But the lens doesn't have stabilizer and I'm worrying if it's ok for shooting fast moving objects while being a super amateur photographer. Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What 70-300 lens are you considering? The Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM Lens has image stabilization. A "friend" of mine on this forum gets amazing results from this lens. It is a good buy at $450 and it is all Canon.

"I want to use for nature or wilde life photography"

I would rather see you get one of the 150-600mm super zooms for wildlife photography, Of course they are twice as expensive.  The lens you can afford and use is the best one, however.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Absolotely pin pointy. the 70x300 lens is the best. amazing quality . Um using it myself for different kind of projects, amazing results. (link removed per Forum Guidelines) for downloading alternate playstore for free

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

As stated, the Canon 70-300 II is a good next step up. If you continue with wildlife, you might need to go for one of the 150-600's, but for now, the 70-300 should fill your needs. I have the older 70-300 and it is my second most used lens, after the 18-135.

Third most used is a tie between the 60mm macro and my 150-600, which is only used for special occasions like airshows and when I am on a purposeful wildlife trek like to Yellowstone.

I live in Canada & prices are quite different than in the US but another oprion which is getting good reviews is the relatively new Sigma 100-400. Likely a bit more money & a bit heavier but more reach is never a bad thing when it comes to wildlife. It does have OS (whivh is Sigma's name for IS.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“I’m thinking of buying a new 70-300 aps-c lens that I want to use for nature or wilde life photography. But the lens doesn't have stabilizer and I'm worrying if it's ok for shooting fast moving objects while being a super amateur photographer.”

What brand of lens? I strongly recommend that you stick with Canon lenses for now. Go for the lens cited by ebiggs.

Do not go for cheap lenses. Your photos will never be better than the lens you used. Lenses are an investment and tend to last much longer than bodies.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

For wildlife work the longer the lens the better, depending on your targets, but as has been said there is a cost for the longer lenses. and also as has been said you are better off buying a name brand such as Canon or Sigma.

I recommend you read my post on the Canon 70-300 Non-L lenses

you may find it useful.

cheers: Trevor

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

alexmorghan
Apprentice
 To look out for when buying a used lens:-
  • General visual inspection. Before you start checking the details, make a general visual inspection. ...
  • Optics. ...
  • Loose joints. ...
  • Focusing and IS motors. ...
  • Aperture blades.

[links removed per forum guidelines]

Announcements