cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 24-105 f4 L lens that the zoom has gotten extremely loose over time. Is it repairable?

chuck2375
Apprentice

I use a 24-70 f 2.8 and the 24-105 f4 lenses but the 24-105 has gotten extremely loose over time.

Is it worth repairing or should I just replace it?  I love this lens because of its range and weight.

5DII
4 REPLIES 4

cale_kat
Mentor

@chuck2375 wrote:

I use a 24-70 f 2.8 and the 24-105 f4 lenses but the 24-105 has gotten extremely loose over time.

Is it worth repairing or should I just replace it?  I love this lens because of its range and weight.

When you ask if it's worth repairing, my instinct is that it probably is. I don't know what Canon Service charges but it is definitely worth exploring. 

I love the lens too. I've got mine on that 5DII too.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Get one of those squnchy things girls put in their hair and put it around the lens zoom ring.  This is a problem, especially with that lens, for zooms and is well known.  I've had several of these zooms (24-105mm) and they all do it eventually and if you have it repaired it wil do it again sooner or later

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Carnac
Contributor

Repairable as others have said. This is pretty common with the  24-105 f4 L.

If you get it repaired, it will be good for a while, but the same think will happen again.

Is it worth it, that depends. I love the lens. I use it more than my 24-70 f2.8 L, just because of its range and IS.

What I did was to buy a couple of "LENSband" lens bands from B&H. They cost about $5 (I know, kind of pricy for a rubber band - but I like the color and they are silicon, so no residue). I have several of them in different colors and use them on lenses that are similar in size - make ID ing them in the bag easier. They work by having the band over the moving and stationary part of the zoom ring (just a little with keep the lens from auto zooming).

Not a perfect solution - but works for me and is cheap.

Jim

marcosphoto
Contributor

Darn, mine does this too.  Had it in to a repair shop and they didn't even want to repair it.  Guess it goes to show there is no reliable repair for it that repair shops could warrant.  Suck it up, rezoom after walking and enjoy - that's all I do!

Announcements