cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd love some advice on which lens to buy...

Stan16
Contributor

Hi,

Great to be here. I'm a novice and hobbyist shooting with a 77D. I currently just own a 50mm 1.4 lens. I'm looking to assemble my own kit, but I'm not sure which lens to purchase next. I know I'd love a versatile lens that can handle low-light situations such as concerts, but can also be used as an everyday lens. I was looking at the 24-70mm 2.8L, but it's worth more than my soul. Haha. If I were to purchase this lens, would I still need any additional prime lenses? I was thinking of getting the 35mm f/2 and the 85mm 1.8 instead of the 24-70. So many options, and tough to decide where to go next. Anybody have any advice? Thank you to all!

20 REPLIES 20

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Stan16 wrote:

Hi,

Great to be here. I'm a novice and hobbyist shooting with a 77D. I currently just own a 50mm 1.4 lens. I'm looking to assemble my own kit, but I'm not sure which lens to purchase next. I know I'd love a versatile lens that can handle low-light situations such as concerts, but can also be used as an everyday lens. I was looking at the 24-70mm 2.8L, but it's worth more than my soul. Haha. If I were to purchase this lens, would I still need any additional prime lenses? I was thinking of getting the 35mm f/2 and the 85mm 1.8 instead of the 24-70. So many options, and tough to decide where to go next. Anybody have any advice? Thank you to all!

Start looking at Canon's STM lens offerings. They are designed for your 77D and despite their low cost they offer outstanding image quality. STM lenses match the image quality of first generation L lenses. 

The 85mm f/1.8 is a great head and shoulders portrait lens. It also makes a good gymnasium and auditorium lens. 

Announcements