cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am currently deciding between the 100-400 L f 4.5- 5.6, 400mm f 5.6 prime and the 300mm f4 lenses.

RonL52
Contributor

I currently have a 70-200l f4 lense and would like to purchase an additional lense which would provide me with more reach. I am considering the three I mentioned above, but am favoring the 300mm f4 prime at this time. I would appreciate any feedback that anyone could provide on these lenses or any other recommendations.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the advice, I ended up purchasing the 70-300L lense. I agree with you regarding only being able to afford so many of these lenses. I have been really happy with my decision to purchase this one.

Thanks, Ron

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

cicopo
Elite

What do you intend to shoot with it? This may be important in the decision. 2 have IS but the 400 doesn't and that may be important too. Next question is whether you intend to hand hold primarily or shoot from a tripod mainly. The longer the lens the better your technique needs to be.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I will be shooting horses, head and profile shots and some action. I recently purchased a  6d which I will be using and plan on hand holding, something I have done with my 70-200 without IS. This did take some getting used to without IS but have become successful with it.

Thanks!

I have all three of the lenses you are considering.  From you last post, get the EF 300mm f4.

As a general rule of thumb a 50mm is 1 power (on a EOS 6D).  So a 200mm is a 4 power and the 300mm will act like a 6 power telescope.

Does that give you the magnification you want?  If not the 100-400mm (8 power) has IS for hand holding better.

Have you considered a tripod with a gimbal head?  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think the 300mm f4 may be my best bet, but  am considering the 100-400. I have eliminated the 400 f5.6 prime because it does not have is. I don't know much about tripod's but will take your advice and do some investigating.

Thanks, Ron

marcosphoto
Contributor

Don't know if you're still following your post but I'll give my 2 cents.  I don't have any primes other than a 50mm.  Do I think primes are better in IQ?  I'd bet my life on it!  Do I think that a prime will always get the best shot?  Don't think so!  I am of limited photo backpack space and limited funds and photos are not my career.  Under these circumstances, I cannot afford nor justify primes.  I believe it is more important to get the shot, rather than risk loosing it due to focal length and/or lens selection issues.  I have the 100-400, hate the push/pull but for the money I love the optics and live with the design.  It's a super sharp lens for what it costs to buy - especially now that the replacement is out.  I say if you're under limited budget or space, get the zoom, I am pretty sure you would not regret it.

Thanks for the advice, I ended up purchasing the 70-300L lense. I agree with you regarding only being able to afford so many of these lenses. I have been really happy with my decision to purchase this one.

Thanks, Ron

I've used the 100-400 for years. It's razor sharp, and once you get used to that trombone zoom, you'll never part with it.

I shoot a lot of birds and animals which most of the time are moving fast. This puppy with its IS and zoom focus is like shooting a top grade assault rifle.

Don't let the F5.6 deter you. fiddle with the f-stops and it works as well as the 70-200 with a lot more reach.

"It's razor sharp, ..."

It is the least 'sharp' of the three lenses he listed! Smiley Surprised

"...  it works as well as the 70-200 ..."

Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It's a zoom. No zoom is as sharp as a prime, generally, but when you're hauling lenses around from the airport to your backpack and up a hill in the forest, you really don't want that F2.8 70-200 and you don't want four prime lenses in your back and an extra body to fiddle with. And when you have just so much cash, on $2k zoom is going a lot further than three primes at $3k apiece. I shoot professionally for publications and I've never had a sharpness problem with the 100-400, even when I add the 1.4 teleconverter and hang it off my 7D.

Announcements