cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am considering purchasing the Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 DI VC lens for my canon 60d.

RonL52
Contributor

I first want to thank everyone that answered my post re: Possibly upgrading from my 60d to a 6d for horse photography. I appreciate all the feedback I received and find this forum very helpful. Also my avatar is my german shepherd Cloe who is 11 years old. I trained this breed for 37 years before retiring.

Okay, I have narrowed it down to the Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 DI VC for my next purchase. But would like to know how people feel regarding this lens, compared to the Canon EFII 24-70 f2.8. I would rather stay with all canon lenses but the Tamron is half the price and the reviews seem positive.

Thanks, Ron 

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 DI VC is a very nice lens. I happen to own this lens.  You will probably be very happy with it.  However, if you have read through many of my posts you will see I am not a fan of off-brand lenses.  That said there are a a handful that have recently elevated themselves to worthy of consideration.  In the Tamrom line this is the only lens I would give a 'buy' rating to.

There is a new lens, the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD that is also getting rave reviews but it is now showing up as having focus issues with certain cameras.  This is all too often the problem with off-brand lenses.  Plus they do not have the same customer service as Canon does.  Sometimes it is non-existent.  It is a  buyer beware situation that can be eliminated by sticking with Canon brand.

But would like to know how people feel regarding this lens, compared to the Canon EFII 24-70 f2.8.”

In a simple statement, there is no comparison!  You are comparing a want-a-be to the best EF 24-70mm f2.8 on the planet.

Yes, it's price reflects that but the best usually does.  If you have to have the best there is the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens is it. Bar none.  This lens will best many primes.

My advice is, with the exception of the Tokina 24-70mm and the Tamron 24-70mm, stay as far away from off-brand lenses as you can.

With this caveat, Sigma.  Sigma has come out with a new series of lenses that are quite outstanding.  I have had the pleasure to do some long term testing on several of them and can say they are very good.  Very good indeed!  Unlike Tokina and Tanrom, Sigma has buckled down on the quality control issues that plagues all off-brand lenses in the past.  Plus I understand their CS has improved to a very high level.  I have not needed it so I don't have first hand on it.

Get the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens if you can. You will not regret it. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I know you are right regarding the quality of the canon lens, that's why I wanted advice from people that have more experience then myself. I know when I purchased the canon 70-200 f4 lens last year I was blown away by the picture and lens quality. I may try to find a used one in good condition. Have you had any experience with Roberts camera on ebay, they sell all used equipment.

Thanks, Ron

"Have you had any experience with Roberts camera on ebay, they sell all used equipment."

Yes, I have.  They are very reliable but very high on prices.  You need to decide if it is worth it to you.

KEH is extremely good and prices pretty fair.

EB

I will check out KEH, thanks again for the help.

Ron

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, if you want an outstanding lens for your 60D and save a bunch of money at the same time get the

Sigma APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM.

This lens will give you the same view as the ever popular 70-200mm does for the FF people.

The Sigma APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM is a constant aperture zoom and does not extend externally. Very nice and very sharp even at f2.8

One reason I highly recommend this off-brand lens is, Canon does not make a 50-150mm designed for the APS-C bodies.

EB
Announcements