cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a stuck filter from front element

limvo05
Rising Star

Hi Experts,

I was wondering if anyone could give me good suggestions on how to remove a tuck filter from the front element? Are there tools I should try to buy or send it to Canon shops to have it removed? Lens in question is 70-200 MK2.

Thanks,

LV

9 REPLIES 9

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There are “filter wrenches” (and they’re cheap).  But I find that I can usually work a filter loose by using an orbital wobble while twisting it.

A filter only needs to be threaded on enough to prevent it from falling off (about one or two threads).  I never full screw on a filter (having been burned by stuck filters once or twice myself).  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@limvo05 wrote:

Hi Experts,

I was wondering if anyone could give me good suggestions on how to remove a tuck filter from the front element? Are there tools I should try to buy or send it to Canon shops to have it removed? Lens in question is 70-200 MK2.

Thanks,

LV

A lens wrench works.  Sending it in to let Canon do a “Clean and Check” is best.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Big fluffy towel..  latex gloves.  How stuck is it. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Ray-uk
Whiz

A rubber glove usually works but don't squeeze too hard otherwise the filter can deform slightly making it grip even tighter. The other easy way is to place the lens with the filter straight down onto a silicon mat, press down on the lens and twist.

@Ray-uk wrote:

A rubber glove usually works but don't squeeze too hard otherwise the filter can deform slightly making it grip even tighter. The other easy way is to place the lens with the filter straight down onto a silicon mat, press down on the lens and twist.

You do mean a silicone mat, right? I think a silicon mat might be the very last thing I'd recommend.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I find that what works best is to put another filter on and tighten them together.  Get a nice wide rubber band that fits snugly to help with grip.  Small jerky effort also helps.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

All,

Many thanks for the suggestions. FYI. I got this idea from a youtube and I was able to get it off. Zip ties. See photoIMG_4298.JPG

Thanks,

LV

DanSF
Contributor

I realize this won't help after you got a stuck filter, but here's a hint to prevent it in the future.  I understand that filters with a brass retaining ring are less likely to get stuck, compared to aluminum ones, since brass is harder and less likely to get bent or deformed, also due to what's called "galling"     Also, I'd clean the threads just in case there's debris in there. 

While I couldn't agreed more with all the suggestions and comments regarding using filter to protect the lens. I can't help but wondering do you really need it? My experience of late seems to indicates filters can do more harm than good, ie. it distorts the image. Perhaps the distortion is not as visible with lessor pixel cameras? With the 5Ds, you can see them quite clearly. Hopefully, it's not my eyes playing tricks on me, but I do see differences when enlarged/zoom in at 100% on my imac.

Thanks,

Lim

Announcements