cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to losoen tripod mount nut on my canon lens

limvo05
Rising Star

All,

I was wondering if anyone here ran into this issue before, and if so what did you do to get out it of it?

I accidentally tighten the tripod mount nut on my canon lens too tight now, now I can't even get it to loosen.

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

limvo05
Rising Star

Just to be clear, I am talking about the colar on the lens. The one that lets you loosen to rotate the lens. Thanks.

Wrap a single layer of cloth around the knob and grip firmly with a pair of pliers.

@Ray-uk wrote:

Wrap a single layer of cloth around the knob and grip firmly with a pair of pliers.

A drop of penetrating oil on the bolt may help as well. Just don't let any of the oil get on the lens itself.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I tried both. A squirt of WD40 as well using a tie-string but no luck. There isn't a lock or some button that I should be depressing in order to loosen the knob right?

Thanks.

I think this might be the problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvgRoUHA_VM

Now, I need to figure out how to undo the screw as one of it kind of messed up.

Wondering if it would be possible to find a replacement screw once I manage to get the old one off the lens? Is it possible to find a replacement tripod mount for old lens?

Thanks.

It would be helpful if you told us the model of the lens.

Failing that, there are many 3rd party lens mounts avialable on the web - try eBay for example...

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

It's the Canon 300 F2.8 IS.

FYI. I've reached out to Canon Support, they told me to try to unlock it by hands LOL!

Bought a new tiny screw driver, combined it with ordinary elastic band, applied slow torque as I turned the screw, I was able to remove the stripped screw, and ordered a new screw from Canon. A new screw cost 24 cents. Shipping $7 LOL!

Anyway, very happy that I was able to fix the tripod collar issue. The bad news is, anyone else want to buy the same screw for this lens, you can have them for $100 as I have bought the last of it from Canon LOL.

"... I have bought the last of it from Canon LOL."

You may have bought the last one from Canon but not the last screw. However you might be close to the price!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements