cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How slow is AF in 85 f/1.2 ? Slower than nifty 50?

ScottyP
Authority
How slow is 85 f/1.2 AF? Slower than, say, the EF 50mm f/1.8? I have been curious about this 85mm lens. You hear so much good about the IQ but they say the AF is quite slow. I realize it sounds crazy to mention those two lenses in the same breath, but the 50 1.8 is the slowest focusing lens I have ever handled (or maybe the loud noise just makes it seem like it takes a long time to focus)?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
3 REPLIES 3

Skirball
Authority

Are you talking about the Mark I or Mark II?  I haven't compared them directly, but my (completely non-scientific guestimate) would put the Mark II at around the same speed as the nifty 50.  Only the 85 II doesn't hunt around like the nifty fifty does, nor does it sound like it's grinding up plastic gears inside.

If you happen to be focused on infinity and then try to AF on something close it can seem like an eternity, but so long as you are in the ballpark it really doesn't feel as slow as people say.  I wouldn't use it for sports, but who would.  It's fine for people who are standing around.  That said, the 85 II is such a unique lens I'd highly recommend renting one before plunking down that kind of coin.

The mark I on the other hand supposedly set records in slowness.  I can' say from experience.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you are going to buy a 85mm lens check out the Sigma 85mm f1.4 ART Series lens.  I like it way better then the Canon and it is cheaper.  The Siggy and my 5D  Mk II are fantastic together.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

As to how the Canon 85 relates to a un-nifty 50, I won't even go there.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements